X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Legal Dates which might help some people

1837 1 July Civil registration began in England and Wales
    1866 Death indexes recorded age at death
    1907 Deceased Wife's Sister Marriage act permitted a man to marry his deceased Wife's Sister.
    1911 September Birth indexes contained Mother's maiden name
    1912 Marriage indexes showed name of the second party.
    1921 Deceased Brother's Widow Marriage act permitted a Woman to marry her deceased Husband's Brother.
    1926 Adoption of Children act provided for adoption of children ,with the creation of The Adopted Children's Register.
    1926 Legitimacy Act allowed for illegitimate children to be re-registered on the subsequent marriage of the parents.
    1927 Registration of Stillbirths made compulsory (but the register was not put on open access).
    1929 It became illegal for anyone under 16 to marry . Previously Girls could marry at 12 and Boys at 14 , although they needed their parents consent until they were 21.
    1947 Short Birth Certificates introduced (This does not contain parents names)
    1949 Register of Births and Deaths in Aircraft listed any Births or Deaths that took place in Aircraft registered in Great britain or Northern Ireland, wherever they occurred in the World.
    1959 Legitimacy act allowed the children born when one of their parents was married to somebody else to be legitamized when their parents married. The chid could be re-registered if it had been previously entered under the woman's husband's name.
    1969 Death Indexes showed date of Birth.
    1969 Age of majority reduced from 21 to 18 . Parents consent to Marriage now needed for people under 18.
    1975 Children act 1975 allowed adopted Children to obtain the original information on their Birth Certificate.
    1986 People permitted to marry a Stepchild or Stepgrandchild , but both parties had to be over 18 and the Child must not have been treated as a Child of the person's family.

Hope this helps some people and I also hope it isnt in the WIKI already LOL

Thanks for putting this up Val. It's really interesting.
    Not sure on this one though

1947 Short Birth Certificates introduced (This does not contain parents names)
    I have my dads short birth certificate and he was born in 1911. It was the only one he ever had.
    Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

Originally posted by geordiegirl View Post
      Thanks for putting this up Val. It's really interesting.
      Not sure on this one though

I have my dads short birth certificate and he was born in 1911. It was the only one he ever had.
      Yes I have my mothers brothers short cert from 1908.

Comment

Those aren't "short birth certificates" but "certificate of registry of birth" which is slightly different.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks for that Kiterunner, I assumed they had only changed the format as they did with the large certificates.
          Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

Working...
          X