Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any ideas for tracing someone in 1901 ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any ideas for tracing someone in 1901 ???

I have a letter from Dr Barnados outlining some of my rellies facts.
    One being that a married sister is living in Fishersgate Brighton in 1900.
    Her name is Elizabeth Emily Muller, probably using the surname Miller, born 1880 Finsbury Holborn Middlesex
    Have searched for all possible marriages in and around the Sussex area, and also Middlesex
    Any ideas on a better way of searching thanks

Are you posistive that she married? Is this her birth
    Elizabeth Emily Muller 1880, Holborn, Vol 1B, page 42
    GWEN

Comment

have you found her on a census?
      GWEN

Comment

had a long look not found anything so far sorry.
        GWEN

Comment

Having fiddled with the 1881 census (coz that's the only one it works on...) If you put Fishersgate in the Keywords box, the majority of the resulting people live in Southwick Sussex.

Armed with this, I looked at marriages after 1895 for variable surnames on Elizabeth Emily Muller. Found this one:

Marriages Dec 1898
          Ansell David James Steyning 2b 650
          GANDER Lucy Ann Steyning 2b 650
          MILLER Elizabeth Emily Steyning 2b 650
          Stanley Noah Steyning 2b 650

Steyning happens to cover Southwick. David Ansell is in Southwick and his wife is Lucy A, so looked for Noah Stanley instead. He shows as married, but with no wife, living in Southwick and in the hamlet of Fishersgate (top right of census page)

RG13; Piece: 944; Folio: 46; Page: 37

Maybe you have already found Mrs Stanley and she's not the one?

Comment

You probably know this already, Val, but just thought I would mention that if somebody was born in Finsbury / Holborn then there are probably loads of different birthplaces they might put down on the census just to confuse us, plus if they are out of London on census night they might well just give their birthplace as London.
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi thanks for all your help yes she is the one born in 1880 Gwen have her on all census up till her father died in 1892 but cannot find her after that.
              Merry yes I found those marriages too trying to remember why I discounted Noah Stanley??? seems the most likely doesnt it ?? shall have to get my notes out thanks very much again

Comment

Thanks Kite I am wondering if Elizabeth is the servant I found working in the right area which would of course wold explain why that Noah does not have his wife with him as she was maybe somewhere else on census day ?????????????
                Off to investigate again thanks a lot

Comment

Except that the census was supposed to record everyone who was at the property at night. And although she may have been working, domestic live-in servants generally gave up that work when they married.
                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

are there any little Stanleys with Noah?
                    Jess

Comment

'fraid not, Jess :(

Comment

I was hoping to find a baby, and thus locate mother but there;s a Noah Stanley born 1897 - too early for marriage - and another born 1905, too late for census!
                        ~ with love from Little Nell~
                        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Noah Jnr is with his father Noah Snr et al in 1891 tucked up in Southwick which is really about as much use as nothing but I just thought i'd say ( as you do)...
                          Jess

Comment

Noah Stanley's father (I'm guessing at the mo) also Noah Stanley is also living in Fishersgate (b Southampton as was N junr) and there are several other Stanleys around who might be Noah junrs siblings. So any other Noah births may well be named for granddad/uncle Noah!

Comment

thanks everyone for trying, much appreciated .
                              I can find no match for Noah Stanleys wife that would fit in
                              Whats got me puzzled is a surviving rellie has told me she used to be taken to see this lady in Hoxton Middlesex in the late 1930s so wondered if she was in brighton why did she move back?? this rellie also says she was married !! or at least a man lived there with her .
                              Knowing that Barnados often got dates and facts wrong I am wondering if its the mother Emily Elizabeth ,and not the daughter living in Brighton, according to Barnados she, the mother had a half sibling to Elizabeth called Thomas aged 3 .
                              Have had no luck yet finding them either

Comment

woud you say I would have a good chance of the marriage between Elizabeth and Noah Stanley being the right girl ????????????
                                I suppose I could risk £7 ????

Comment

Do we know where she was in 1891?
                                  Jess

Comment

oh yes she was with her parents Emily age 30 and Adam aged 39 her brother Charles (my grandad) another Brother Alexander and a Sister Rose aged 2 one of the girls sent to Canada.
                                    living in Mile End

Comment

As she would have been young in 1901 (if Noah's wife is your Eliz Emily)

I tried births after 1911, surname Stanley, mmn Miller (none with Muller)

Births Dec 1912
                                      STANLEY Walter E Miller Paddington 1a 38

Births Mar 1914
                                      Stanley Dorothy Miller Willesden 3a 622

Births Jun 1915
                                      Stanley William Miller Wandsworth 1d 1104

Births Mar 1921
                                      Stanley John Miller Willesden 3a 474

Births Jun 1921
                                      Stanley James Miller Lambeth 1d 675

Births Mar 1926
                                      Stanley Peter H Miller Uxbridge 3a 123

Maybe none of these are to do with your family, but some of them are only a few miles from Hoxton!! (Pity there are none a bit nearer!!)

Comment

Not that it makes a great deal of Difference but Did alexander & charles go to canada too?
                                        Jess

Comment

Working...
                                        X