This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F Keys

Please excuse my ignorance, but this is one area of Computing I have not yet looked at.

At the top of my Keyboard are 12 F Keys, F1, F2, F3 etc.

Can someone please tell me what they are for and what particular action each one does?
    Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

This might help
    How to Work with Function Keys
    Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine,

That was quite useful.

Can't see me using the F keys after all.
      Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

If you want to refresh a page whilst on the internet you press the F5 key.

Programs use the F keys for different things. I transcribe for FreeBMD and we use the F3 key to save the database. Just depends how they have been programmed.
        Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

They're useful if you work a lot with Word, not really if you only use a browser, although F11, which toggles back and forth to full screen, is quite useful.

Comment

They tend to have different functions depending on the software you are using at the time. F11 for instance will make your internet browser full screen which is handy for looking at images!

Comment

Most programs use F1 as a short cut to the help file

Comment

I used them when I learned 'word perfect' in the 'olden days' of computers. Oh! the invention of Windows was amazing lol.

As has been said F11 is great to get a full screen and F5 refreshes.

In a Word document F12 saves your document.

You can also use lots of other shortcuts too, like once you have highlighted a word that you want bold, itallic or underline, just press ctrl + B or I or U. I find that easier than 'mousing'
                Rose

Comment

Working...
                X