No announcement yet.

Cumbria Records Office (Kendal) anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cumbria Records Office (Kendal) anyone?

I'm trying to find definite records of my ancestors in the Cartmel area of Cumbria (formerly part of Lancashire). There's very little published information and the best the LDS can offer is Bishops' Transcripts.

I've now found via A2A that Cumbria Records Office at Kendal has the actual parish registers for St. Mary's Cartmel and surrounding parishes for the 18th. and 19th. century, some of which have been filmed. Is there some kind soul who's likely to be going in that direction in the near future? A large reward is on offer!
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Sorry John, I was there about 3 years ago. Just wanted to say that the facilities there were excellent and the Staff very helpful.
    Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

John,

I was going to look into this for you at Barrow's record office. I'm very sorry that I've been unable to do so, as I was ill over Christmas and its taken a long time to shake off.
      I still mean to look. My lunch break's gone down to half an hour, so I can't get to the Records Office during work now. In a couple of week's time, I have a day off, and I'm trying to decide whether to go up to Whitehaven, or stay local. I have things to look for at Kendal too, so I could go there.
      If you don't get another offer, please send me the details again and I'll try to get something done this time.

Again, apologies for not looking yet
      Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

Comment

Helen, that's exceedingly kind of you. I'm sorry to hear you've been under the weather. Once you've definitely decided which way you're headed I'll p.m. you a list of who's who. I've just made fresh contact with someone who has done a lot of Lishman research and she has given me some pointers. Reading between the lines, the Lancashire Parish Register Society isn't doing a lot north of Morecambe Bay, and the LDS is also a bit of a busted flush.

John

Comment

Uncle John - if the records are available at Carlisle I could look at them for you. I don't get down to Kendal more than once in a blue moon, though.

Anne

Comment

Don't know if this will help. It does have Cartmell, but I've only checked Hawkshead myself.

Lancashire OnLine Parish Clerk Project -

Comment

Thanks for the link, Libby. Unfortunately the Lancashire OPC site only has online burial records (Bishops' transcripts) from the early to mid 1880s for Cartmel and nothing else. I'll study the site and see what other services they offer.

Ann - A2A and the Cumbria RO website say specifically that the records are at Kendal, so it doesn't look as though there are copies elsewhere. I will email Kendal to confirm precisely what they have and if any of it is available elsewhere. Thank you for your kind offer, which I may take you up on if there is anything at Carlisle.

John

Comment

A quick update. I've emailed Kendal records office to confirm what records they hold and to ask if films are duplicated or could be viewed at Carlisle or Barrow. I've also asked if a Cumbria library ticket is OK as ID.

Comment

OK Uncle John - I'l await results. I do have a CARN ticket as well as a library card. I have been to Carlisle Archives in the past but only to look at the Probate Calendars, which they hold in the original books

My ancestors do not come from around here at all. However all my father's side of the family come from ......... Bedfordshire!

Anne

Comment

Hi Ann. I've just had a reply from the Lancashire OPC coordinator (all the way from Texas!). He says Kendal archives are difficult to deal with, unlike those south of the sands. There's no sign of an OPC volunteer for Cartmel and surroundings.

I don't come from Bedfordshire, I just live here!

Comment

I have a brick wall in Cartmel, UJ, am trying to decide whether to go on holiday to Norfolk, (where about a quarter of mine ltree comes from) or, as you have now informed me, Kendal, to try to break down this annoying wall. Both a long way from Devon. If I decide on Kendal I'll let you know.
                      Mavis
                      Dust is a noun, never a verb;)

Comment

Mavis,

I'll extend the same offer to you as to Uncle John.

Cartmel was in Lancashire, whereas Kendal was Westmorland. Barrow does have some records.

If you'd like to PM me with a few details and the rough dates, I'll hopefully get to Barrow office to take a look.
                        Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

Comment

Thanks very much Helen, will pm you.
                          Mavis
                          Dust is a noun, never a verb;)

Comment

Originally posted by Mavis by the Moor View Post
                            I have a brick wall in Cartmel, UJ, am trying to decide whether to go on holiday to Norfolk, (where about a quarter of mine ltree comes from) or, as you have now informed me, Kendal, to try to break down this annoying wall. Both a long way from Devon. If I decide on Kendal I'll let you know.
                            That's very kind, Mavis. I'll broadcast any info I get from Kendal records office about what info. is held where. You deffo need a reader's ticket for Kendal RO, which would normally limit it to Cumbria residents.

Comment

No surely not UJ!?? The ticket you would need for a Record Office would be a CARN ticket or similar. Just something to identify you with.(Some record offices do their own eg Lincoln which have a photo on). Reader's ticket in this case doesn't mean a Cumbria Libraries ticket, I'm sure.

Anne

Comment

Ann: I bow to your superior knowledge. I've never been to a records office, sad to say.

I've now had a response from Kendal, as follows:

Barrow Record Office has records available on microfilm for the following:

Baptisms 1559-1851
                                Marriages 1559-1879
                                Burials 1559-1883

Kendal has the most extensive coverage, with the addition of baptisms up
                                to 2007.

Carlisle does not have Cartmel registers on microfilm.

I've asked them to clarify whether the films at Barrow are parish registers or transcripts.

Comment

*shocked* ;);)

Well you don't know what you've missed then UJ! I must say whenever I have visited a Record Office I have found everyone so helpful. I usually spend far too long there and forget to go out and eat or drink something. There is SO much to look at and to be honest I think I would rather go myself than ask for a lookup, just to make sure I got everything I wanted. But then I am a bit of a control freak!:o

Anne

Comment

Sorry to butt in but are Kendal's records in Cumbria?

I've got someone who on various census's changes age and place of birth

1841 - can't find him
                                    1851 - b c1819 Appelby, Northumberland
                                    1861 - b c1799 Komdale, Westmoreland
                                    1871 - b c1818 Standish, Westmorland

Now two out of three give Westmoreland and I think its probably Kendal area and also possibly catholic too - just to add to the problem!!!

However he marries someone from Berwick upon Tweed - when and where another mystery!!!

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Cumbria is the present day county which used to be (before 1972) Cumberland, Westmoreland and bits of Lancashire (Furness)

The main archive is in Carlisle but there are also record offices in Kendal, Barrow and Whitehaven (there may be others - not sure)

As Uncle John has found the main (Carlisle) record office does not have all the records - presumably mostly not those of former Westmoreland. Kendal was in Westmoreland.

The main Carlisle record office is, at present, housed in the Castle! Very atmospheric but also very cramped. There are plans well in hand (but I don't think started) to renovate a large old house in Carlisle to make a new Record Office. We are not holding our breath though :p

Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                                        The main Carlisle record office is, at present, housed in the Castle! Very atmospheric but also very cramped. There are plans well in hand (but I don't think started) to renovate a large old house in Carlisle to make a new Record Office. We are not holding our breath though :p
                                        Dear me, if only I'd packed my family tree when we were house-sitting in Carlisle in February. I remember seeing a reference to the records office when we did the tour of the castle.

Comment

Working...
                                        X