Sailing ship expert please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sailing ship expert please!

My ancestor travelled from Hong Kong to England in 1845 on a ship called the Tory. It was a 608-ton freetrader and there is a picture of it in the Illustrated London News at St Catherine's Dock.

The trouble is, there was more than one ship called the Tory at the time and I have a suspicion that the artist just found a picture of what he thought was the ship and added a background to it. The picture looks more like a naval ship to me, with gun ports along the side.

I've found another picture of the Tory on the National Maritime Museum website (attached) and it looks identical to the one in the paper - and it flies the Red Ensign, denoting it's a merchantman. So... can anybody tell me what sort of ship this is - and are they gun ports on the side?
    Attached Files
    Paul Barton, Special Agent

Hear my themetune on http://www.turnipnet.com/radio/dickbarton.wav

Originally posted by Paul Barton, Special Agent View Post
    My ancestor travelled from Hong Kong to England in 1845 on a ship called the Tory. It was a 608-ton freetrader and there is a picture of it in the Illustrated London News at St Catherine's Dock.

The trouble is, there was more than one ship called the Tory at the time and I have a suspicion that the artist just found a picture of what he thought was the ship and added a background to it. The picture looks more like a naval ship to me, with gun ports along the side.

I've found another picture of the Tory on the National Maritime Museum website (attached) and it looks identical to the one in the paper - and it flies the Red Ensign, denoting it's a merchantman. So... can anybody tell me what sort of ship this is - and are they gun ports on the side?
    Can't help directly but here's the Champion of the Seas, built about 1855 in Boston.
    Attached Files
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

No reason why Merchant Ships in those days wouldn't have cannon. Even today there are Pirates about.
      Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

This was at the time of the Opium Wars so I would think any ship would go into those waters pretty well armed!!

Opium Wars - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you haven't read it, try Tai Pan by James Clavell.

Tai-Pan (novel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
        Last edited by Caroline; 25-03-08, 21:01.
        Caroline
        Caroline's Family History Pages
        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Working...
        X