X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• needing a little help

my hubbys great grandmother is ALICE STOCKER
    on the 1891 census she is living in an orphanage in london

on the 1901 census she is living with a JABEZ SAYWELL but relationship to head column says she is a ( B.O.Orphan ) does anyone know what the B.O. stands for

also another weird thing is that on her marriage certificate it says that her father is called JABEZ TUCKER definitely tucker not stocker

in 1891 the place alice lived was called

London > Islington > Upper Holloway > District St Mary Islington Parish Workhouse Schools

Comment

1891 Alice is aged 3 and birthplace is given as unknown. She is in Islington Workhouse Schools.

I can't find either her or Jabez Saywell in 1901 - have you got the ref?
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

As for father's name on her marriage cert, if she was illegitimate she wouldn't necessarily have had the same surname. Alternatively, its possible whoever was filling in the certificate just made a mistake.

Comment

Cannot find a birth reg, these is the only ones in London area:

Caroline Alice Stocker 1887 Jan-Feb-Mar Fulham
          Florence Alice Stocker 1887 Apr-May-Jun Edmonton

Comment

thanks nell

her name is mistranscribed on 1901 census as stoker but when you see image it def say stocker

PIECE is RG13/1520
            PAGE is 8
            KEYWORD I USED is STOKER

i hope that helps, im not sure how to work these ref numbers but above works for me

Comment

it is said she called herself alice matilda stocker but i can only find one birth for that name in 1889 brentford middlesex

Comment

Got her!

Don't think head of house is Jabez. Looks more like Jarvis or James.
                It doesn't say why Alice is with them, she doesn't appear to be a servant. I think B.O. might mean British Orphanages, but its not clear.

I suppose you could delve into the Saywells, Alice could be a connection of the head or his wife, I am puzzled as to why she is in Cambridgeshire and not still in London, working as a domestic servant, as that would be the fate of most workhouse girls I guess.

Comment

I see there's a Jabez Saywell marriage to Eliza Harradine, Caxton 1882. Is that where you got his name from?

Comment

Did you notice there is a B O orphan with a family further up the page, and one on the previous page?
                    Gillian
                    User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

so orphan were put in workhouses is that because of no parents or maybe parents that have fallen on hard times. could there be a possibility that parent/s would be in another part of the work house
                      thanks for the tip on the saywells, poss this saywell or his wife could be a relative of parents and maybe came to the rescue of this little girl. i will have a look at the saywells to see what i can discover.

thanks nell

Comment

Can't find B.O. as recognised abbreviation on 1901 census. B.S. is British Subject, but I don't think it says that.

Comment

Gillian

Well spotted. Perhaps all these orphans were sent out as a job lot? I believe technically speaking an orphan is a child with no living father, not necessarily no mother. Of course if Alice was illegit. she may have been abandoned by her mother and in fact perhaps never registered, or given the names she was given after she was taken into an institution.

Comment

Seems a big coincidence having three BO orphans in the same small area - I wonder if it could have been some kind of charity project? Barnardos?
                            Gillian

Comment

not sure where i got jabez from i think i looked him up in earlier census and sure it said jabez then.

Comment

yeah i noticed there were a few B.O. ORPHANS on the same page. my hubby said barnados, but i wasnt sure.

Comment

I see that Ethel Popperwell, 9, BO on previous page, and Mary, the one above Alice on same page were both born Islington, so it looks like they were perhaps in the same workhouse school together?

Comment

a foundling. ow heavens, ill never get to bottom of this one then, ive been watching that tv show called FOUND, a lot of foundlings on there.
                                    my hubbys side of the family are a right lot, giving me so much trouble. my hubby thinks theyre a shady lot. lol

Comment

Of course a lot of Barnado children were sent abroad - not sure that BO is for Barnados, which certainly wouldn't have been connected to the Islington workhouse schools.

Comment

I have had a good google with some guesses but can't work out BO at all. Sorry.
                                        Gillian

Comment

Working...
                                        X