Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gale newspaper trial

Hi

after reading Richards thread i was hoping to see if i could find any info on my family. Can anyone tell me the link to get in? ive tried emailing for the password but it just keeps bouncing back

many thanks
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Gale

Robyne i think they are blocked now as i cannot get in, but would like to be proved wrong

]Please note that images I restore are only temporarily kept on photobucket

[/B]FOR RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN ALL PICS AT 300-600 dpi

ALAN

Comment

PMs sent to you both
      Anne

Comment

As the trial appears to be perfectly valid ie no password required, I had a play yesterday and had the time of my life.

Murder
        Paedophile scandal
        Husband trying to deny responsibilty for wife's debts
        Another murder
        Dockyard pensions (imagine the world knowing exactly what YOUR pension was!)
        Death in a courtroom

besides a handful of unexpected bmds

Considering this is just a sample clutch of newspapers, I was amazed at how much I found.
        Phoenix - with charred feathers
        Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

I found the most juicy bit of scandal relating to my family. I urge all of you to try out this site - it's the best new site I've found in ages.
          Paul Barton, Special Agent

Hear my themetune on http://www.turnipnet.com/radio/dickbarton.wav

Comment

I found the reason why the 12 year old brother of my gg grandmother was in a reformatory school. the naughty thing broke into a pub and stole the takings!!!
            Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

Don't ignore the advertisement pages. I have found all sort of bits and pieces of news and announcements tucked away on those. The advertisments about auctions and people who have died intestate can give a lot of information as well.
              Caroline
              Caroline's Family History Pages
              Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I've had my nose stuck in this for about two weeks - and I still don't think I"m halfway through what I may find.

I've been able to track my theatrical ancestors from town to town from the 1800s up to the 1900s by looking at the advertisments and the reviews of the productions they were in.

I've always had a hunch that my 3 x great grandparents, who both had difefrent levels of success, weren't necessarily in the same places when "their" children were conceived. So far I've been proved wrong as they appear to hook up quite regularly. Poor Kate, the more successful of the partnership, also works practically up to the birth of the children.

Kate's mother Henrietta gave birth to her eldest sister in the pit of the stage following a performance.

I've found an interview with Kate and an obituary for her father George including details of his funeral and who was present at his death which has thrown up more siblings for him. It also has me wondering why his "acting partner" Miss Kennedy was present at his death and attended the funeral in the front carriage with his daughter and sister whilst his wife didn't bother to make the trip!!

I've viewed about 3000 articles and have over 400 saved as relevant and worth keeping (as opposed to relevant but boring i.e. an advert that runs for two weeks).

I'd guess there's probably the same amount to go through still if I include their other rellies who were in the profession.

So, if anyones at a loose end..........
                Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

What website was this?
                  Lynn

Comment

Could we have a link to this site please
                    Pam

Comment

It's a newspaper/periodical site Lynn. This is how I have been accessing it -

Gale - Instant Trial - GDC - Home

Complete the form with your e-mail address and enter "none" for the other boxes

It is a time-limited trial, but doesn't say what the time limit is.
                      Gillian
                      User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

there's a link to register for the trial further down the research board

Please do NOT post links that take you in through a back door of one of the university websites etc as we have to delete these
                        Zoe in London

Comment

Zoe - mine above is a legit one I think isn't it?

And, as you are in the trade, do you have any idea what the time limit is for the trial access?
                          Gillian
                          User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Gillian

yep - yours is the one I was talking about - the trial.

Erm, I don't have a clue how long the trial is on for. I'm just riding it out until it breaks
                            Zoe in London

Comment

thanks Zoe & Gillian, I've gone in throught the Mirror link. Not found anything relevant yet though.:(
                              Last edited by Lynn The Forest Fan; 25-03-08, 13:33.
                              Lynn

Comment

Despite the very sad info I found on my g-g-g grandmother, have also found much other great info, I put in the village where my family came from in Ireland during the famine, and had lots of hits, descriptions of deaths, riots, murders of landlords, death tolls, which has all given me a real insight into why they may have left at this time.

I have found the trial of my my g-g uncle for breach of a promise to marry, and my g-g granny and g-g-g granny are both mentioned with lots of eye opening info about their lives.

I have found some original newspaper reoprts of my huguenot ancestors arrival in britian in July 1721.

Yesterday found another of my g-g grandads quoted as a witness, his work colleague promptly dropped stone dead one day why they were sat down having sandwiches!

I'd suggest not just putting ancestors names in, but surnames and village (no + sign for some reason this doesn't seem to work). Also try variation of spellings, newspapers then as now seem not to have been great at getting this right.

I am also finding some great stories, like others totally unrelated to my family. I hadn't realised how juicy the Victorian newspapers could be, especially the later ones with their lovely illustrations. Have just been reading one with a story about a violent prisoner resisting arrest by savagely attacking the officers with his wooden leg, the lethal use of which he was highly proficiant! Same page is a story of a man who took his own life by setting up a cannon in his living room and blasting himself to death with it..both helpfully illustrated!
                                Last edited by Richard; 25-03-08, 17:14.

Comment

Beware that the OCR seems to be case-sensitive (fair enough). That is "Pafoot" doesn't seem to pick up "PAFOOT", for example.

Christine
                                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I've tried searching all sorts of ways, and have come up blank every time!
                                    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

me neither wendy, thought it was just me lol

Comment

Aaaaaggggghhhhhh

Comment

Working...
                                        X