Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Would Love To

get back past Richard any ideas please please

I have marriage cert for Frderick Wyatt /Hannah Rives married in 1854. It states his father's name is Richard. On IGI records Fred's year of birth is 1827 his mother & father are named as Richard & Ann this ties in with his age on the census I have found Fred & Hannah on.
    I am trying to get back past Richard now and keep drawing a blank. If I've found the right one Richard married Ann Clark in 1823, IGI record. I have found lots of children born to Richard and Ann one of them is Fred.
    How do I get back past Richard and find out who his father is?
    A member on GR told me that Richard and Lucy were Richard's parents but they were unable to tell me how they proved this and I have not found anything to back this up.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    GWEN

Gwen

where was Fred born?
    where did he marry?
    where are Fred and Hannah on the census?
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

OK I've found the marriage on IGI, they married Bethnal Green. This matches GRO marriage index too, so I think this is reliable, esp. as the IGI record is extracted (and the mention of father is a bonus!)

Comment

There's a Frederick Wyatt aged 4 in 1841 (would make him born 1837 so doesn't fit your birth - but he is living in Bethnal Green and there are two adults (probably parents, though one can't be sure, as no relationship details are given) called Richard & Sarah.

Ref: Class: HO107; Piece 693; Book: 6; Civil Parish: Bethnal Green; County: Middlesex; Enumeration District: 21; Folio: 33; Page: 19; Line: 9; GSU roll: 438809.

I was hoping the image would show Fred as 14 as this would fit better with the age you have for birth/census, but it doesn't. This Richard is a drover, I suppose you could check father's occ on marriage cert if you have it.

Comment

More promising - 1851 has a Frederick Wyatt b 1828 in Bethnal Green, stepson to William Overy, whose wife is called Ann. (So perhaps his mother was Lucy and his father remarried and then died) and then 2nd wife remarried).
          This Fred is working as a silk weaver - does that fit with info you have? There's also a stepson called George Wyatt aged 14.

Ref HO107; Piece: 1542; Folio: 384; Page: 5; GSU roll: 174772

Comment

Oh, now found George in 1841 with possible parents Richard (yes) and Rebecca (oh no!)
            This Richard is a "broker" which sounds posh for Bethnal Green, but the next household is headed by a "pawnbroker" which seems more in keeping.

HO107; Piece 693; Book: 6; Civil Parish: Bethnal Green; County: Middlesex; Enumeration District: 20; Folio: 17; Page: 24; Line: 20;

Comment

On the other hand:

GEORGE WYATT
              Birth: 15 APR 1837

Christening: 07 MAY 1837 Saint Leonards, Shoreditch

Father: RICHARD WYATT Mother: ANN
              C040807

Comment

Maybe these are all different Richards and Anns and Georges and Freds!!!

Comment

Have you got Fred in 1861 - where is he living and what is his occupation?

Comment

I see 1871 Fred is a silk weaver, which would fit with stepfather Overy in 1851.
                    Same batch no. for George's baptism has a Mary, William, Thomas Samuel and James all bapt St Leo. Shoreditch parents Richard & Sarah. This may of course not be George's Richard!

Comment

Daylight!
                      IGI has this batch no. M069691 marriage between William Overy and Ann Wyatt 08 JUL 1839 Spitalfields Christ Church, Stepney.

Comment

Can't see a death for Richard before this, though of course he may have died pre-registration, and in the early days lots of deaths went unreported.

If this is the right family 1851, then this marriage 1839 fits and we can ignore all the Richard Wyatts in 1841 census.

Comment

GRO ref for marriage: William Overy & Ann Wyatt
                          1839 Jul-Aug-Sep Whitechapel Volume: 2 Page: 474

But can't find this couple in 1841!

Comment

It seems George was born before civil reg (or parents didn't bother) which means that there's no birth cert, which would confirm Richard as father. As his death is unrecorded too its a bit of a facer, isn't it? You are left with the IGI and scores of London parish baptism registers. I've found lots of Wyatts so you can't be certain which lot are yours.

Wish I could be more help.

Comment

Little Nell I am very impressed you have found other members of the Wyatt family with such little information and it is very confusing because there are so many Fred's and Ann;s, George's etc. Prior to Richard and Fred all the family were born in Bethnal Green.
                              That is my Fred you found with step dad William Overy, Fred's father Richard died in 1838 I have D/C. Ann was Clark before she married Richard and once a widow married William Overy have M/C.
                              Fred married Hannah Rives have M/C his father is named as Richard & he is a silk weaver. Fred & Hannah can be found on the 1871 census, RG10, Piece 501, Folio 31 Page 15.
                              1861 census, RG9 Piece 489, Folio 68, Page 68.
                              I am trying to established the father of Richard Wyatt who was born about 1805. I worked this out from D/C he died in 1835 and his age is reg as 33. I found a Richard James on IGI CO4O802 born in 1807 who's parents are Richard and Lucy but I am not sure if this is my Richard. I am returning to this problem once again as I often do in hope I might be able to find something.
                              Would add IGI C040804 are Fred's brothers and sisters.
                              thanks for you time and effort very much appreciated I will have to keep looking
                              GWEN

Comment

I have to go out to buy food so forgive me if I do not reply.
                                Thanks again Little Nell
                                GWEN

Comment

Gwen

You are welcome, you did that looking for Smoothys for me which I was very grateful for. Maybe some of the other clever clogs on this site can help - but without a definite place of birth for Richard it will be difficult to know which parish baptism registers to search, or to be sure you've found the right one if you do find an entry.

Comment

It might be worth a look on the Docklands Parish Register site, to see if any relevant combinations of parishes and dates are covered. It's mostly baptisms, but they should include fathers' occupations.

ParishRegister.com - Parish Records Online

Christine
                                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                                    X