Where is the link?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is the link?

I recently found a good match in my hot matches & as I am no longer a full member on GR, got a friend on here to make contact for me, giving my email address for them to contact me. They didn't reply to me, but opened their tree to my friend, which seemed to show that we had the same families on our trees. As a result, I discovered that this person also had their tree on ancestry & my hubby's gg grandmother is there, along with her parents & sisters, the tree owner, had descendents of one of her sisters. The tree has over 4000 people on it & I can't work out how the tree owner is connected to this family. I contacted them via ancestry, with a couple of questions regarding the tree & my friend also contacted them again on GR. I have not had a reply, but my friend was told that the contact would be interested in my gedcom & offering an email address to send it to.
    I am loathe to send a gedcom, when I can't see the connection but I don't understand why this person won't contact me direct. It is all very frustrating, as this person has a death for hubby's ggg grandfather & I am particularly interested to know where she got the info from.
    Any advice on what to do now would be gratefully accepted.
    Lynn

Personally I would not send them your gedcom file. Before you open up your tree I would try and find out who, what, how, he is connected. If he has contacted you direct reply to him explaining you do not open your tree to anyone without first finding out the family link if he is genuine he wont mind.
    GWEN

Comment

Thats what I thought Gwen. Their tree is already big, so I was a bit concerned that they were name collectors, but the part of the family that I am interested in, they have a lot of detail for, marriage & birthdates etc, that info must have come from somewhere, but possibly not from their own work.
      Lynn

Comment

It's quite possible that it was from another gedcom that was sent to that person and the information source isn't known so they can't reply to you about where it came from so don't want to look like a name collector!!!! even if they are one!!!

Mind you it could well be that they can't remember and with such a lot of names trying to track down the relevant information if they haven't noted the source might be so time consuming - time that they haven't got.

However its really frustrating knowing they have information useful to you.

I have one on GR with 7 matches but they have not responded to any contact.!!!!!!!

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

It is a bit odd that they don't reply direct to you but don't dismiss them just because they have a huge tree. I have got some great stuff - totally not available elsewhere because it was personal papers that had come down through the family - from a person with a tree of over 5000.

Now you have their email you could try to establish a dialogue with them. If they don't reply I would then be suspicious that they didn't really know where the info came from!!

Anne

Comment

Just a thought but could it be this person, having worked hard on their huge tree is worried that you are the name collector and so doesn't want to provide you with info until you send them some. I too would not send my Gedcom, but perhaps if you send a few details which they do not have they will then respond in kind?
            Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Judith

I take your point, but I don't think it applies here - the tree is on Ancestry, for all to see and copy, so they aren't worried about that.

I would send them a few titbits but put off sending a gedcom by saying "You already seem to have most of the information I can give you".

OC

Comment

I am just a bit worried about contacting them again, after already trying to contact them via ancestry. This person only really has the descendents of hubby's gg grandmother's sister, which are of interest to me & I would only have details of his gg grandmother's descendents, which I would be able to give. The surname, Robinson is quite common & that is why I am interested in finding out where they got the death from. I think I might send them another email to the email addy given.
                Lynn

Comment

Well I sent an email a few days ago, with a few bits of info & so far I have heard nothing back. I am not surprised but a little disappointed as I had hoped that I had found a connection. :(
                  Lynn

Comment

Working...
                  X