Question about Ancestry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Ancestry

I'm doing a survey (sort of.Lol) can i ask who has a subscription to Ancestry ?
    Also who has not and what is your reason for not joining ?
    This is only a mini vote and doesn't justify a big poll on here.Lol ! ;)

I have one!!
    Alison

Researching:
    CAVE, CUCKOW/COSHOW, DAKIN, GILBERT, GINN, HUXLEY, LEATT, LETTEN, PATTERSON, PERRY, PORTER, SOMMERVILLE, WEEDON, WHITING
    http://www.authonomy.com/ViewBook.aspx?bookid=1025
    http://www.authonomy.com/ViewBook.aspx?bookid=2650

Comment

I decided not to renew my sub for a third year and to spend money on certs instead. May well join again later.

Comment

Resisted it for years on the grounds of cost. I now have a sub and intend to get my money's worth out of it in case I cannot afford to renew next time.

OC

Comment

I have a sub.
          I visit the site almost every day and think it well worth the dosh. When I first had a sub it only had 2 censuses but it now has all the censuses 1841-1901, bmd indexes, Pallot's baptism and marriage indexes, World war I records - new stuff added all the time. I honestly couldn't manage without it.
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Yes I have subscription to it as well ,,,wouldnt be without it little gold mine in there for info ;;;;;;;;;;
            borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

I have ............ and I love it....... even though it drives me mad at times.
              Jean
              Jean....the mist is starting to clear

Comment

Me too!
                Lynn

Comment

I have had the UK one for 2 years and just subscribed to the CA about 2 months ago. Would love to have the world one but cant justify the cost.

Comment

I have a sub and cannot do my research without it, into my third year. I only wish they would give you a loyalty discount.
                    GWEN

Comment

I joined last year but have never found some of the things I have been looking for to my dismay, but it helped when the soldiers that had pensions from WW1 went on and I have been able to help other people

Comment

I have a sub, to the English side only, my second year. I probably won't renew it again, as I have traced all my lines in the various census, which was my main reason to join. I would like a sub to the Aussie records, but won't and can't afford a world sub just for the few Oz records that are available elsewhere anyway.
                        Diane
                        Sydney Australia
                        Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

I have a sub, have had it for 4 years, keep thinking about not renewing but can't bring myself not to.
                          ;) Helen x

Comment

I used to have a subsription but that had to stop when they no longer took payment from Maestro cards :(

So currently I am a simple "Registered Member". It was one of the few sites I found truely good value and I used it loads!

Comment

I had a UK sub for a couple of years then got an offer a couple of years ago to upgrade to World so did. This year wasn't going to renew to that as it was £195.99 but new members could get for £50 less!!
                              Phoned them up, had a long chat and was told to cancel the renewal and then apply a a new subscriber. Did, but had to use a different e-mail address, got the cheaper rate and used OH's card to pay:D
                              Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

I have a sub and couldnt do without it. I think its worth every penny..

]

Comment

I live in there...Have had it for two years now,Great for Scottish Census as well..
                                  Paid £59.95 for last year,,,Well worth it..
                                  Looking for: Jeary,Murton,Minall and Polley...

Comment

I have a UK sub. This is my second year. When you spread the cost over the year, it is only about £1 50 per week. Cheaper than the cost of a Sunday paper! Couldnt' do without it.
                                    Lesley

Comment

Mines due for renewal next week - cost £55 last year but lot more this time.

Have had a sub for just one year and its been great.

Does anyone know the going rate at the minute?

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

I have had a UK sub for 3 years now and will continue to renew it as long as I do family history research. I simply could not do without it!!

I use it mainly for census information but also for BMDs that are not on FreeBMD (which is still the easiest to search and match brides and grooms)

My justification for paying out for Ancestry is that living here we are hundreds of miles from any county archive which has information about mine or OH's families. Although it seems quite a large amount you need to think how much the travel and at least one night's accomodation would cost! When we do manage to make a trip south we can concentrate on parish records and stuff not found on Ancestry.

I also get a bit cross with myself when I think how much I paid in the past for Censuses on unindexed CDs!! On Ancestry you can do so much more for a fraction of that price. Even the dodgy transcriptions can usually be overcome with a bit of ingenuity.

Anne

Comment

Working...
                                        X