Woo Hoo!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woo Hoo!

I have been in e-mail correspondence with my m-i-l's cousin (whose sister and brother in law started their family tree before internet) and was just thinking I ought to contact her with more info I've found, when she sent me an e-mail.

It's an army document, a letter dated 6 September 1916 stating that her grandfather (the notorious Charles Albert McCarthy aka Charles Albert Carter) had been in with his son's birth certificate, which showed that the lad wasn't 17 and would therefore have to be discharged from the army!

And even better, a handwritten letter by Charles Albert saying "as I have three sons in the army I do not think it right that a boy of 16 should go, I have put £2000 in the war loan and if I could get a man to manage my business I would join up myself" He was 50 years old at the time!
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

You must have sent her some vibes to send you something!

Presumably the son was discharged? Maybe he joined up again later?

Comment

Just looking at his papers on Ancestry now. His attestation says that in Nov 1915 he was 18 [he was actually 16 and 4 days]

Comment

How lovely, thats the real stuff you want in this hobby (vocation?) isnt it. Though I can still hardly bring myself to read those letters submitted in court re OH's grandfather! Poor Peps who kindly copied some for me at Kew - I blush just looking at them in private here, gawd knows how she felt copying them! But even so, this makes them REAL people doesnt it.

Comment

Yes, it does. I think this lad didn't do any actual war service. Charles' three sons who were in the war all escaped, though Fred was invalided out and was rejected for a war pension. Another story there, I think!

Comment

LOL, "shot in the foot" job was it?

Comment

Working...
            X