• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bedfordshire Library Times Access Changed

Hi,
    Just found this when I went to log in.

Online Resources
    Changed access! Unfortunately access to the Times Digital Archive, InfoTrac Newspapers, Magazines and Journals and the Gale Virtual Reference Library has been restricted - this is because it has been brought to our attention that we were in breach of our licensing agreement with Cengage, the supplier of these resources.

Clicking on another link basically you have to go into a Bedfordshire Library and they will give you a library card so you can then access the times etc.

I wont be going to Bedfordshire any time soon so does anyone know of any other way to access the Times.
    Kit

It's worth seeing if your own county has access, Kit. Then you can use your own library card.
    Gwynne

Comment

I have the same sort of access through my local library in Richmond, Surrey.

Recently the way the website searches seems to have changed. When you search by keyword far fewer options come up. They've obviously tried to make the search system more precise but in doing so the system fails to pick up words unless they are perfectly readable by their Optical Character Recognition system. It was better before, even if it meant wading through a lot of irrelevant stuff.
      Paul Barton, Special Agent

Hear my themetune on http://www.turnipnet.com/radio/dickbarton.wav

Comment

Found a website for London boroughs that tewls you if you can access this

London Libraries - electronic resources in London's libraries

Hope you are lucky

Linda

Comment

Kit - this has been mentioned several times. It's all about the library not breaching the conditions of their Infotrac licence. You have to be resident in the library's area, so you need to join your own local library and hope they have access to Infotrac. Some libraries don't have it at all, and others only have access via terminals in the library.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

The Times Archive is available on this limited time free trial newspaper site:

Gale - Instant Trial - GDC - Home

You need to register and give an email address in order to receive a password but for the sections you can't answer put 'None'.

Other good stuff on there too, have a look.

Ice.

Comment

I joined the Bedfordshire Libary online didnt have to go there

Comment

Val

I think if you join online you are a virtual member - but you cannot now access The Times online. I think you have to validate your membership by going to a library.

OOO - JUST TRIED LOGGING ON and I can still get in to The Times. Way hay! I'm just going off this site and I may be some time!!!
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Im going to try too

Comment

Just got chucked off because "The maximum number of licensed users for The Times Digital Archive has been reached."
                    ~ with love from Little Nell~
                    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

oh dear do I have to join a library now then ????????/

Comment

My librart has access to the Times Digital Archive. Unfortunately it won't let me use it - it has rejected my library card 4 times now ! Searched for help after the 3rd attempt and one of the F.A.Q's said ' only use 14 of the numbers, omit the rest !!!' . Thought they might have made that clear to start with so had another try but needn't have bothered as 4th attemp was no good either. Gave up.

Comment

Maybe it's specifically the first or last 14?

With ours, it's the whole number - including the initial letter.

Christine
                          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                            Maybe it's specifically the first or last 14?

With ours, it's the whole number - including the initial letter.

Christine
                            Did wonder about that but mine has a letter at each end !!! Will have to ask them tomorrow.

Comment

thanks for the replies, I've not been around much. I have tried the trial site mentioned above so I've been on there. It's great as it has more than the Times. no idea how long the trial is for though.

Sadly I can only access this online but for anyone who hasn't looked up old newspapers do so you can get a heap of info.
                              Kit

Comment

Kit.....................join your local Council Library and they should have the Times. Mine has also gone with a trial of all those other ones as well, so that will be great when it's up and running. I'm in Logan and have always been able to access The Times from home.

Comment

Working...
                                X