Where can I find a list of Debutantes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where can I find a list of Debutantes

I am trying to find where I can get a list of the names of the girls who were debutantes in the 1930s and despite having googled, and googled again have been unsuccessful. Any suggsetions please?

Thank you

The Times used to print a list of Debs presented at court. The Tatler and POSSIBLY The Lady, also followed the doings of Debs pretty closely.

OC

Comment

Thank you. I did have access to the Times on line archives through a local lbrary but access has now been removed because they were contravening something or other. Does anyone know how else you can gain access please?

Comment

You'll probably need to call in personally at your local library to get a library card that allows you to access it online.

Comment

I don't mind having a look for you, but if the person is still alive, please send me a personal message rather than putting their name on this thread

Comment

Oh isn't that a pain, I haven't needed to access Times online for a while and now I'm shut out too.

Does that mean we have to personally attend the Library in order to join and then be able to access everything as before online?
            Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Yes, I'm afraid so. Which is a problem for those of us who don't live in England...

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                Oh isn't that a pain, I haven't needed to access Times online for a while and now I'm shut out too.

Does that mean we have to personally attend the Library in order to join and then be able to access everything as before online?
                As was explained a while ago, various local libraries (Bedfordshire in particular) found they were contravening the conditions of their Infotrac licence by offering membership to non-residents. So you have to join the library for your local area and hope that they offer Infotrac access. To prove local residence you'll probably have to produce your Council Tax bill or something similar.
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

UJ

My library doesn't offer access anyway, sob sob.

OC

Comment

Is there a list somewhere of which counties offer this service as I don't think Hertfordshire does ?
                    Simon

"You've got to ask yourself one question. Do I feel lucky ? " (Dirty Harry) - Be lucky; the facts are out there somewhere

http://www.thebirdtree.co.uk

Comment

I'm sure someone in Herts. said they had access. What does the Herts CC website say? There may be a way of emailing the library service.
                      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I've got it in Milton Keynes and I joined online at Bedford not knowing! Not sure what to search under for Debutants but suggestions welcome! I am looking for a list of names from the early 1930s.

Comment

UJ

I have been a member of my County Library for 33 years. Recently they changed all the library cards and I had to take in:

Passport or photo driving licence AND two utility bills not more than a month old!

I grumbled, they apologised and we came to the conclusion that I had had a pretty good run for my money if I turn out to be an illegal immigrant, or have been popping into the (Cornish) library twice a week from Scotland and borrowing books.

OC

Comment

I THINK you want "Presented at Court" or similar wording.

OC

Comment

If you register with the free Gale trial, the Times Newspaper is included, amongst the other collections.

Gale - Instant Trial - GDC - Home

Comment

Gale - Instant Trial - GDC - Home

Fill in registration with a name, email address, International in drop down field and type NONE in all the other fields, click on register and you are in

Linda

Comment

Do you know how long the free trial is for?

If it is only for a short time I'll hold off registering until I really need it and not use it for idly browsing as I'm apt to do. Don't want to waste the opportunity
                                  Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

It says it's for a limited time, but it doesn't say how long.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post
                                      Is there a list somewhere of which counties offer this service as I don't think Hertfordshire does ?
                                      Your library card number is your password.

hertsdirect.org Newspapers and Magazines
                                      Select Infotrac "Newspapers"

You have to "change databases" (see towards the top right of the screen) to find your way to the TDA, but your Herts Library membership does give you access.

I haven't found a way to the new selection of C19th papers yet.

Christine
                                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                                      X