GRO registration numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GRO registration numbers

After spending ages trawling through the complete death index on Ancestry, I've finally found my great aunt's death, but the volume number isn't very legible.

If anyone with an Ancestry sub wants to have a look, the person I'm interested in is Constance A North who died in Leicester q4 1964:

- Ancestry.co.uk

The reference number looks like 5A 641, but the entry immediately below, for Ilford, is definitely 5A, and there's a Leicester entry a few lines up which begins with 3A.

The Wiki has the Genuki list of volume numbers, but it only goes up to 1946.

I've tried googling, but I can't find a recent list. Does anyone happen to know if there is one, or where to find the Leicester volume numbers?

I think it is 3A 641.

Comment

Looks like 1a 641 on FMP
      Elaine

Comment

enlarged view from FMP

... but I do agree Ancestry looks like 3a!
        Elaine

Comment

1946-1974 the volume number for Leicester reg district is 3a

Created : 1.7.1837.
          Sub-districts : East Leicester; North East Leicester; North West Leicester; South Leicester; West Leicester.
          GRO volumes : XV (1837-51); 7a (1852-1946); 3A (1946-74).
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
          My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
          My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Brilliant, Glen, that's what I was looking for. Where did you find it?

Thanks to Elaine and Maggie as well for looking.
            Last edited by Mary from Italy; 23-03-08, 15:50.

Comment

Genuki list of districts (also available by clicking the reg district name from a freebmd result).

Registration Districts in England and Wales

If you wanted the cert from the Leicester reg office then you either need the Leicester office (for a Leicester City event) or the Leicestershire office for a non Leicester City event.

See the wiki (Leicestershire page) for the area coverage for Leicester reg offices.
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
              My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
              My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Oh, how stupid - I'd been to that page and looked at the table, but I didn't notice that the volume numbers were at the top of the page.

I generally get certs from the GRO, which is convenient when ordering from abroad, except for marriages, which I get from local offices so that I get the original signatures.

Thanks again

Comment

Another question (can you tell I'm sending off for a batch of certs?).

I'm interested in the following death:

Deaths Dec 1866 (>99%)
                  Inman William 68 Salford 8d 1

Can the page number really be 1 as the death was registered in the December quarter?
                  I've looked at the original, and it does say 1, but it's typewritten.

Comment

from freeBMD
                    Deaths Salford 1886 Dec quarter volume 8d page ranges 1-121
                    Elaine

Comment

Ah, thanks, I assumed they started with page 1 in January, so presumably the page numbering starts again every quarter.

Where did you find that info? I'm looking at FreeBMD, but I still can't see it. Sorry if I'm being dense today.

Comment

Click on Information
                        Then under the Statistics heading click on Districts
                        Under Page Ranges - click on the second here - index by District

Select your district
                        You will then see volume and page range numbers used for births, marriages and death year by year.

A very useful check when you get a fuzzy image!
                        Elaine

Comment

Ah, brilliant - I didn't even know that page existed. Thanks very much!

Comment

Working...
                          X