Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't find the Drummonds in 1851

Hello All - My first post!

I'm trying to pin down the birth places of Robert Charles Drummond (my 3xGt Grandfather) and his wife Ann Carr.

I have their marriage (from Pallots and IGI) 3 April 1826 All Souls St Marylebone.
    1841 - Ref HO107/1057/6/17/20 in Lambeth Surrey. Robert aged 30, a Poulterer, born in county. Ann aged 35 and their eldest son Fenwick 14, born out of county.
    1861 - Ref RG9/798/11/17 in Enfield. Robert aged 50, a Victualler born Newcastle Northumberland. Ann aged 44 born Newington Surrey.
    By 1871, they're back in Lambeth ref RG10/675/37/26. They're now both aged 63 and both born in Newington. Robert is now a Retired Victualler.

When I followed their son Fenwick Carr Drummond through the censuses, he gave his birthplace as Scotland (51), and Lemington on 61 and 71. I googled and found Lemington was right next to Newcastle in Newburn parish. Because of this, I was able to find his baptism in Newburn in 1827 on the new LDS image search (thanks to someone putting the link on here).
    The baptism record says his father Robert Charles was a butcher, and the family's abode was London. Fenwick's marriage cert in 1852 says his father was Robert Charles Drummond, Licensed Victualler.

My theory is that either Robert or Ann originated from the Newcastle area - there seem to be a lot of Fenwicks and a lot of Carrs round there - but as their respective birthplaces on the census chop and change, I can't be sure which way round it is.

Another possibility, I suppose is that the Ann on the 41 is a different person from the Ann on the 61 and 71.....

Sorry if this is a bit long-winded, but if anyone can find them in 1851, I'm hoping it would shed a bit more light.

Here's hoping!

Fran x
    Last edited by Guest; 23-03-08, 09:47.

Originally posted by Olliesnan View Post

Another possibility, I suppose is that the Ann on the 41 is a different person from the Ann on the 61 and 71.....
    Have you seen this possible second marriage on freeBMD

Marriages Dec 1855
    Robert Charles DRUMMOND
    Ann Rebecca HOWARD or Bridget DUGGAN
    Newington vol 1d page 222

there is a death in 1846 in Lambeth which may be the first wife
    Deaths Sep 1846
    Drummond Ann
    Lambeth vol 4 page 177

Can't see anything on the 1851 census. :(
    Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 22-03-08, 18:31.
    Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine. I can't believe I hadn't thought of this before. It only occurred to me as I posted the message.
      That would explain why I can't find them s a couple on the 51, and the discrepancy in birthplaces.
      Am off to search for Robert by himself!
      Fran

Comment

Nope - can't find him. Have used all the different spellings I can think of. It looks like Ann Rebecca Howard was the second wife, as Robert's wife is Ann R on 61 and 71. She was a widowed Lodging House Keeper in 51.
        Son Fenwick on 51 is still living in same area (maybe even same house) as on 41, but father has gone missing.
        Even if I buy the death cert of the first Ann, this won't tell me where she was born, will it? I suppose its reasonable to assume that she may have come from the Newcastle area and went back there to have her first child, but that doesn't explain why husband Robert gave birthplace as 'in county' (Surrey) in 41 and Newcastle in 61.

I found a possible Ann Carr b1797 in Newburn parish Northumberland on LDS images, but this is 10 years older than the Ann on the 41.

Oh well - think I'll have to put this lot back to the bottom of the pile for a while!

Fran

Comment

Working...
        X