Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

the convoluted ways in which we find our rellies!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the convoluted ways in which we find our rellies!

My gt x2 grandfather John Purvey had 16 children, the eldest of whom was named William after John's father. I couldn't find Wm in 1891 after lots of trying, so gave up.

Today, I was reading the thread about the Goulsons' disappearance and it seems they might have emigrated to the USA. This reminded me that a distant branch of the Purveys also did this - I went to check records to see where I'd found the info and found that Mildred Purvey had gone to the US, but I also found I'd made a completely forgotten note that she's in the North Cerney parish registers as mother of an illegit child. I went to check the GRO birth indexes to see if the child was registered and whilst looking for Purvey births found an Edna Florence, registered Stroud.
    Edna was John's mother's name, so I was fairly sure she must be connected. Looked for an Edna Purvey in 1891 - nothing. Tried just Edna in Stroud district and found Edna Florence Verwey - and yes, you've guessed it, her dad is the elusive William, whose age is out by a few years, which is why I hadn't found him.

Yippeee!

The transcription gives Edna's birthplace as Pikheomle [which sounds vaguely North American Indian to me] but folk who know Gloucestershire - or just those who can read! - will realise its meant to be Pitchcombe.
    Last edited by Little Nell; 22-03-08, 08:33.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

It always amazes me how a rellie can be so stubborn for so long then one day everything just falls into place, (usually, in my case, when all the info was near to hand in the first place :o).
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

I looked for over 20 years for details about my husband's grt grt grandfather death and gave up. The family story said he jumped ship and left his wife and children and sailed for America. I found him on the 1901 census with his family. But no trace of him after that. I searched every avenue and then gave up.
      Whilst looking for another relly of the same name in the times digitial library I came across a few news articles so decided to read them all to see if they fitted who I was looking for and yes you guessed there was a piece about my Grt Grt Grandfather.
      You will probabally think I am daft but it seemed to me he was willing me to find him to bring closure and the truth. He was a merchant seaman and he fell over board whilst on a trip to the USA. I made sure all the family saw the article and still do not understand why lies were spread about him as it concerned a court case as his wife sued the company he was working for won and was awarded damages and all court costs paid. She lived to a good old age and never understand why she said he fell over aboard and left her. Unless of course he was leaving her and she had the cheek to sue for the money. LOL I will never know.
      So they do turn up when you least expect it.
      GWEN

Comment

Oh, WOW WOW WOW!

I was fiddling about with Freebmd looking for the marriage of a John Bell Busby (slightly unusual I thought).

Found him - and on the same page his sister is marrying Mr Huckbody! I have looked for this marriage for ages - knew somebody married a Huckbody, but not who when or where.

AND I found Jim and Ada Holt who have been mentioned by several relatives but no one knew where they fitted in!

A most satisfactory and unexpected triple find!

OC

Comment

Well done OC!
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Brilliant, OC!

I've been away from my addiction and doing other things for a couple of days, so I hadn't happened on your brilliant success notice.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
            X