Does anyone else do this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone else do this

I still have certificates to get for direct ancestors but I keep getting led astray.

I have a Sarah Catherine Carr born in Islington in 1910 and I've just come across a Sarah C Carr dying in Mutford district (Suffolk) in Mar qtr 1927 aged 16. I can't find any Sarah Carr other than mine who this could be and I want to know if she's mine and what she's doing in Mutford. Sarah's a first cousin twice removed but I know I'll end up putting aside a death cert for a direct and getting this one:-)
    Asa

There are some of them you just have got to know about! I have done that many times.

I was reviewing mine and OH's direct line last night and I was shocked to see how many of those certificates I could still get. Who knows what surprises they might hold. Sometimes those ones which you think you know about hold some unexpected details. But others you get a hunch about and just can't resist getting them. Perhaps we should start a Certificate Collectors Anonymous to stop us spending so much on them!

Anne

Comment

The chief problem with any cert is that you don't know what's on it till you've forked out the £7.

If you knew in advance that the informant on a death cert would turn out to be a twice-married female with her 2nd married name which would help you find her on the census where she's been lost for ages, then you'd be chuffed. But if the informant is a total stranger and cause of death is a vague "old age" you mightn't want to get it.

So frustrating! And yes, I get side-tracked by the in-laws and hangers-on, who are often the ones with the more interesting lives than the direct lot.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Asa

Many many times. I have on my list of "must haves" a marrriage cert of a son of a Great Uncle who had been been born in Italy, educated in Sweden and emigrated to Canada to join the Canadian Expeditionary Force but who had married in Shropshire in 1917 because he happened to be in this country on his way to the Front Line. I also want the Birth cert of the son born in London of this couple, hardly mainline, but intriguing for me as nobody else living knows anything of their past history except me! And the Birth Cert of the son may just lead me to an address of another family member!

Janet
        Last edited by Janet; 22-03-08, 10:40.

Comment

I have a list of direct line ancestor certs which I would like to get, but don't need in order to prove anything. I think there's 17 certs on the list. I keep saying each time I buy an interesting/important cert, I will get one of the 17 at the same time..............

Erm...........I've only managed to do that once and then I noticed I'd missed off a death cert from my list, so it was back up to 17 again before I knew it :(

Comment

the distant one that had my curiousity for a while is why a wife would cahnge her name by deed poll after her husband was killed during the war. You would think she would be proud to use his name. I cant remember what she cahnged it to now but it sounded like possibly a stage name. It was in one of the papers that I had access to on line. I thought I had the detail written in my tree but cant see where they are. Think it was a Rosalie Ivy Gaze. Hubby John William McKerrow killed in 1944.

Comment

Ah I'm glad it's not just me:-)

I try very hard to be disciplined and methodical but I'm obviously easily distracted. It would make things so much easier if certificates were free to dedicated genealogists.....
              Asa

Comment

btw, there isn't another Sarah C Carr this could be is there? Mine was born 15th August 1910.
                Asa

Comment

Originally posted by Asa View Post
                  I try very hard to be disciplined and methodical but I'm obviously easily distracted. It would make things so much easier if certificates were free to dedicated genealogists.....
                  I try to be methodical about recording the things I find out, but the process of finding out tends to be a bit random. You have to be a bit of a lateral thinker when it comes to mistranscriptions.
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

It's always the side branches of my tree that do anything or go anywhere interesting!! My main line tends to stay in the same place, do the same kind of work, marry the girl/chap next door (near enough anyway), have a load of kids with the same names and generally die of old age. I might be generalising a bit but you will get the general picture!!

Jane

Comment

Working...
                    X