Clear All

• Another Goulson mystery

Another update see post #31

1841 census, Bottesford, Leicestershire

John Goulson 25
    Joseph Goulson 3
    Maria Goulson 1
    Sarah Goulson 20

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece 587; Book: 4; Civil Parish: Bottesford; County: Leicestershire; Enumeration District: 7; Folio: 8; Page: 8; Line: 11; GSU roll: 438740

IGI baptism for 1817 for John, Knipton, Leicestershire.

1838 marriage to Sarah Haynes, Grantham District.

Nothing after 1841 for the family in the census.

Also Baptism in 1840 for Maria and also two in 1844 for children to the couple;

John and Maria both 27/10/1844 at Knipton.

John died in 1845 (birth and death reg found) but there is nothing for another Maria. Any ideas why two Maria entries but nothing in the bmd or burials?
    Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 05-04-08, 09:21.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

The plot thickens

Just had another look through the census and there appears to be nothing for the family after 1841 and no additional baptisms.

Checking the bmd hasn't helped much either, nothing stands out for a death/remarriage for either John snr or Sarah and there is nothing extra for Maria.

Wonder if they moved out of the country??

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Maybe they were mistranscribed?
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Tried the usual variants, just christian names, years of birth etc but still nothing.

I could understand perhaps in the odd census but to lose them all in later years!!

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Can't see them in 1841 - have you got the ref?

Comment

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece 587; Book: 4; Civil Parish: Bottesford; County: Leicestershire; Enumeration District: 7; Folio: 8; Page: 8; Line: 11; GSU roll: 438740

John listed as born c1816, born in county (Leicestershire)

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Odd, I couldn't find them, then I said I couldn't and found them by putting Bottesford in parish box. He was a blacksmith, so possibly mentioned in trade directories?

Comment

Genuki has census names 1861 GENUKI: Bottesford, LIN no sign of any Goulsons.

Comment

It's typical, for the first time in ages i find an "unusual" christian name for a Goulson and he vanishes.

Mostly they share just four christian names (and Joseph is one of them!!!).

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

If John is your John and he died before 1851, maybe Sarah remarried and the children took her new husband's surname.

Comment

I haven't found a death/burial for John or death/burial/remarriage for Sarah.

I tried looking for Joseph 1838 and Maria1840 by christian names only in the 51 onwards but zilch. There are only four bmd records in total for Maria Goulson (one is her birth and the other three are for another Maria in my tree).

The only thing i can think of is that either John died and Sarah met someone, didn't remarry but she and the kids took the name or failing that they left for foreign parts.

The lack of census and bmd events for the family post 1845 seems strange especially considering they registered the children in the early days of civil registration.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

I've found the following Goulsons on the Leics. county burial disc (1813-91), buried at Knipton (none in Bottesford):

GOULSON JOB / 19 APR 1818, age 1, ABODE BELVOIR, SON TO JOSEPH & MARY GOULSON
                        GOULSON ANN / 10 MAR 1820, age 86, ABODE BELVOIR, WIDOW
                        GOULSON JOSEPH / 20 JAN 1823, age 15, ABODE BELVOIR KNIPTON
                        GOULSON PAGE / 30 APR 1828, age 60, ABODE COLSTON NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
                        GOULSON JOSEPH / 20 MAY 1831, age 60, ABODE BELVOIR
                        GOULSON MARY / 17 SEP 1843, age 60, ABODE BELVOIR
                        GOULSON JOHN / 30 MAY 1845, INF ABODE BELVOIR
                        Last edited by Mary from Italy; 21-03-08, 22:36.

Comment

It may not be relevant, but if you look at the 1880 US census on familysearch, there's a John Goulson, blacksmith, born in England, of about the right age, in California. He's with a wife Ann, though.

Comment

HI

Following on from the post above the same John Goulson is in the US from at least the 1851 census

1850 Avon, Rock, Wisconsin USA

John Goulson 34 Farmer bn England
                            Ann Goulson 22 bn England
                            Joseph Goulson 12 bn England
                            Mariah Goulson 10 bn England

1860 Avon, Rock, Wisconsin, USA

John Goulson 44 Farmer England
                            Ann Goulson 32 England
                            Mariah Goulson 20 England
                            Elizabeth C Goulson 9 bn Wisconsin
                            Alfred Goulson 12months bn Wisconsin

1870 San Mateo, California

John Gaulson 55 Blacksmith bn England
                            Anna Gaulson 40 Keeping house bn England
                            Carrie E Gaulson 19 Wisconsin
                            Alfred Gaulson 9 Wisconsin

1880 you can see foryourself on Family search site/IGI

I cant see them in the 1900 Census.

But son Alfred has married.
                            WendyP

Comment

HI

correction have now found Ann W Goulson in the 1900 census age a bit out

San Mateo Californina

A W Goulson 67 Widow has given birth to 5 children and only 3 of them are still alive came over to USA in 1848.

Living on her own

1910 census San Mateo California Ann W 78 is living next door to her son Alfred and his wife but she now has her daughter Lizzie 58(Elizabeth) living at home with her/or at least visiting. Ann now says she had 4 children and 2 of them are still living.
                              Last edited by WendyP; 22-03-08, 05:58.
                              WendyP

Comment

1850 US definitely looks like the same father and children as 1841.

Comment

findmypast.com's ship's passengers' lists only starts 1890 which is a shame.

Comment

There is a database of arrivals at New York, but I don't know where it is!

Comment

Oooh

Wendy sent some info and i found the 1880 on familysearch whilst locked out here. It all looks to match except for wife Ann!! Wonder if John remarried or Sarah was Sarah Ann?

Just had a quick look at some matching details in an Ancestry tree too but nothing on gr.

tries to look calm with a potential breakthrough looming :D:D

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Right then, i was going to order a pile of Goulson certs, chronologically from 1837 onwards, that is still the plan, fortunately the marriage for John appears to be one of the earliest.

John Goulson to Sarah (hopefully/possibly Sarah Ann??) Sep qtr 1838 in Grantham.

Joseph birth, same district and quarter plus Maria June qtr 1840, matching district.

Worth a punt for the cost methinks. Even if they disprove something somewhere................where is me debit card???

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Working...
                                        X