another mystery I shan't solve!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another mystery I shan't solve!

Poor James Drayton! Born 1870 in Brighton, though not in birth indexes.

1861 he is a 5 month old love child with Thomas Haws and family.

1871 Thomas Haws has died and his wife remarried. James is now 10-year old and has surname Chown after his foster mother's new husband.

1881 James is recorded as a boarder with the same family and is working as a bootlaster.

1891 still with family, still bootlaster, but now down as "visitor".

No idea why, having been born Brighton, he'd end up in Shoreditch. But at least the woman who took him in looked after him.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Erm....he's a nurse child, not a love child (well, he might also be a love child! lol)

Might he be connected with these people?

RG9; Piece: 242; Folio: 122; Page: 41

I tried to find the birth reg for their youngest son, as he would need to be nearly two rather than just one, for James to fit in, but I couldn't find anything (I didn't look hard though)

I also couldn't find any of them in the next census, but again I've not looked hard!

Comment

Sorry, forgot to mention their dau was born in Brighton!

Comment

Merry

Oops! I meant nurse child. That 1861 family you found look promising!
        There;s only a very tenuous connection really. Sarah, the woman who nursed James Drayton, chose as her 2nd husband a chap who is my 1st cousin 3x removed. I'm just being nosey.

Comment

I see the Drayton father was a travelling auctioneer, which might explain why they were in Brighton.

Comment

OK, so they are reasonably well off.....Mrs Drayton falls pregnant not long after Henry is born and she isn't well, so hubby sends her back to Brighton for the sea air because the confinement she had there was better than the latest one in Shoreditch.

She has the baby in Brighton and comes home but is to ill to nurse the baby so has to pay the Haws family to look after him.

Then the Drayton family get snatched by aliens, leaving little James behind.........

Comment

Brilliant! Or perhaps little James becomes too attached to Sarah, whose own son Alonzo (I kid you not) died at the tender age of 5. Sarah's 1st husband Thomas was a boot finisher and as James became a boot laster, he may have been Thomas' assistant or apprentice, which would explain why he stayed with the family.

Or }whisper since I can't find a birth reg} James wasn't Drayton senior's son and he refused to have him in the house!

Comment

Working...
              X