Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The winner of WDWTYA? 20th March 2008 is......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The winner of WDWTYA? 20th March 2008 is......

Sue from Southend!

Well done Sue

Hurrah! and I'm available this week too Merry,lol. I hope everyone's not going to be too busy with Easter!
    Off to find the details of the Websters.....
    Sue

Comment

*sticks fingers in ears and hums a tune*

Comment

I have posted this before but I live in hope!

In 1861 I have Joshua Webster, with his wife Ann, and three children
        Joshua, Ann and John
        RG9; Piece: 263; Folio: 111; Page: 35;

On 1 March 1862 William (my gt grandfather) is born.

They all disappear from view in 1871

The younger Joshua marries Eliza Gristock in 1865 (I have the cert) and dies in 1914 but there is no mention of him between times.

In 1881 William is living with his sister Ann and her husband Richard Hadkiss
        (mistranscribed as Hodgkiss) RG11; Piece: 413; Folio: 116; Page: 31

I can find no death for Joshua senior and no mention of him or Ann in any other census. There were loads of Ann Websters dying in Middlesex between 1862 and 1881!

So basically I'd like to find out where they were and when Joshua and Ann died. :D
        Sue

Comment

What about this for Joshua jnr's wife Eliza and son Joshua aged 1 in 1871?

Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 486; Folio: 77; Page: 42; GSU roll: 823373.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Yes thank you JBee - I do actually have that but left it out of the original post so it didn't get too involved! Again though he too just disappears!
            Sue

Comment

Congratulations Sue hope you get some walls down babe
              borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Now is 1881 there's a Jas Webster with wife called Mary a bit younger.

Maybe Jos and Jas?

Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 423; Folio: 47; Page: 38; Line: ; GSU roll: 1341091.

Possible for baby John in 1871
                Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 1304; Folio: 153; Page: 35; GSU roll: 838776.

though there is a death for a John Webster age 9 in Dec 1869 in Bethnal Green but there are quite a few John Websters born there.
                Last edited by JBee; 20-03-08, 23:06.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Hmmm, he's about 10yrs too old and has the wrong occupation! Joshua was a sawyer and Jas is a blacksmith.

I forgot to say that I have Joshua and Ann's marriage certificate - Sept 1845 he was aged 20, occ. sawyer and she was 18.
                  Sue

Comment

Hi JBee, you must have edited your last post just after I turned off the PC!

I have seen the 1871 census possibility for John - maybe he was such a naughty boy that the family went into hiding!! Seriously tho' the problem with this family is that apart from Joshua they all have really common names teamed up with an equally common surname :(
                    Sue

Comment

Good luck Sue - A welcome diversion from the photos thread!

I hope you knock down some of those brick walls!
                      Elizabeth
                      Research Interests:
                      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Sorry I got slung off puter by OH and then sons!!!

I tried just looking for Joshua and no surname but couldn't get anywhere - they didn't emigrate did they?

Comment

I don't know! I don't know much about looking for emigration records but on Ancestry and FMP there's no Joshua Webster that I can see although plenty of possible
                          J Websters.

If they did emigrate my Gt Grandfather (William) never spoke about it - my mother lived with him for 20 years and doesn't remember him ever talking about his parents. Although when I mentioned the name Joshua to her she seemed to remember them talking about a Josh but that would probably have been his brother or nephew!
                          Sue

Comment

If you don't fancy looking for Joshua how about Edward Warren??

Edward Warren marries Matilda Piercy in Apr 1857 in Bethnal Green. Both of full age. His occ. Labourer.
                            His father William, weaver.

I have them in 1861 - RG9; Piece: 265; Folio: 32; Page: 4 where his occupation is given as carman

Edward then dies in 1865 aged 38, occ Driver of a van (I have the cert)

I think I've got him in 1851 living alone, occ Carman.

But I can't find him in 1841 either alone or with his parents. Nor can I find a birth.
                            There is an Edward Warren born to William and Abigail in Sept 1826 at St Botolph without Aldgate on Family Search and for a long time I had them as his parents but I've found an entry on City iof London Burials for the burial of Edward Warren aged 7 mths at St Botolph, Aldgate in May 1827 which I felt rather ruled that out!

So can anyone find Edward's parents or even Edward in 1841?

Edward's wife Matilda is not a problem - dream family!!! Easy to find LOL
                            Sue

Comment

Hi
                              I've had no luck with Joshua.

Could William have married twice ?
                              This Edwin is 9
                              HO107/ Piece 664 Book10 Folio 23 Page 6
                              there is another William/Edward but he is only 6mts

Comment

Edward should be about 15 by 1841.

William may have married twice but as I don't the name of Edward's mother I'd really be guessing!!

Edwin's father is what looks like a builder - William was a weaver as was Matilda's father ( and indeed Matilda)
                                Sue

Comment

Sorry Sue not getting any joy with Edward in 1841.

Comment

O well never mind - just wondered if I might have missed something...

I'll look out another challenge!
                                    Sue

Comment

OK

Caroline Elizabeth Matthews marries Robert Wheeler in 1849 in Bethnal Green
                                      It's her seond marriage -1st husband William Slade/Slaine (Slade on census Slaine on second marriage cert) 1st marriage abt 1844. One son William. She gives her age as 23.
                                      On her marriage cert her father is given as Henry Matthews occ Writer and Guilder (their spelling not mine!) It looks as tho' he may have witnessed the event but it could of course be a brother.
                                      However I can't find a her on 1841 or a birth. Nor can I find Henry Matthews in 1841
                                      She's on all subsequent census up to 1881, there are lots of Caroline Wheelers on death index but nothing leaping out - I've already got 2 certificates that looked possible but weren't the right ones!!

This is her in 1881 RG11; Piece: 295; Folio: 88; Page: 15

A very similar problem to Edward Warren!!!
                                      Sue

Comment

Just so you don't think we are all ignoring you, not having much luck with this one either!
                                        Elaine

Comment

Working...
                                        X