Got my first two bigamies!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got my first two bigamies!

George Skillings m Eleanor Hammond in 1853 (neither were living in their home parish) in Norfolk

Eleanor Skillings (widow) m Jesse Boyde at St Peter ad Vincula, Middlesex in 1860. He is a soldier and they appear to have gone abroad, so not on 1861 census.

George Skillings (bachelor) m Esther Rhodes (widow) in 1860 in Bradford

Eleanor's father was Thomas Hammond, cordwainer per her first marriage.
    It is Thomas Touchett, shipwright on her second.

Eleanor had an illegitimate daughter, Laura Hammond, who signs herself as Laura Skillings on Eleanor's second marriage certificate.

I can't find a Laura Hammond or Skillings on the 1861 census, but there are a Laura and Armide Trutlett lodging in the Tottenham Court Road area, very close to where Laura was when respectably married ten years later.

Was Trutlett a mangling of Touchett? Was Eleanor trying to make her family look more respectable for her new husband, by introducing Armide (sic?) as a relative?

And was this the reason that Laura adopted the middle name of Bohemia?!!

I don't often say thank you to Ancestry, but this litle mystery has been on the back burner for thirteen years, and best of all, I've found a descendant of Laura to share it with!
    Last edited by Phoenix; 24-03-08, 16:48.
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Congrats on your first bigamies, Phoenix!

Rather sadly, I have no bigamies yet in my direct line, simply because they never bothered marrying in the first place.

OC

Comment

Most of myancestors are country folk, where it would be very difficult to get away with bigamy, but I do have a family where the girls make a profession of not marrying - which doesn't stop them being on the vicar's visiting list, so they clearly weren't past praying for!
      Phoenix - with charred feathers
      Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Phoenix

Good for you! I'm envious, especially as I thought I found an illicit liaison recently and it turned out there were 2 separate chaps with same name and birthplace and children with same names.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I'm 95% certain of a bigamist in my OH's line. The hubby scarpered to Canada with his pregnant wife's cousin in 1854.
          He married her there about the time 1st wife had the child (their third). She, at least, waited best part of 10 years before marrying her lodger. Hubby was declared dead.
          She died in 1910, outliving both her 1st husband (1907) and cousin (1904).
          Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

Comment

Working...
          X