Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Duke Street, Manchester Square London what parish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duke Street, Manchester Square London what parish?

I have had a small break through with a pesky Pigott - I have found an announcement in the London Gazette of June 1871 of a Debtor's summons with his place of residence and occupation.

Pelling Hugh Gough Pigott - solicitor - living at 27 Duke Street Manchester Square in the county of Middlesex.

I've googled and the post code is W1 and the house is now a takeaway shop!

However my question is this - which Parish is Duke Street in so that I can search by address on the 1871 census as he is being very elusive.
    Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

Probably Marylebone, perhaps Westminster St James

Comment

Thanks richard - I'm using google as well Marylebone was my first inclination but I couldn't see it on the list!
      Bo

Comment

1871 census
        Ref. RG10; Piece: 162; Folio: 12; Page: 18; - takes you to 27 Duke Street. Manchester Square is on the previous page.
        Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine - I was just working my way through the districts and comparing the streets to the Map to see if I was going in the right direction so your extremely quick response has saved me much time. Many thanks.

No 27 is filled with women lodgers so he must have moved in after the census or was never there at all - from the very little I know of him I expecting the latter - his mother's will writes off all his debts to her estate.

Back to the drawing board to find him...........
          Bo

Comment

Have you got a year and place of birth for him?
            What name(s) does he use on the other censuses?
            Elaine

Comment

He was born 1Q of 1846 in Heckfield Hants (registration area Hartley Wintney).

On the 1851 census HO107; Piece: 1680; Folio: 332; Page: 7; he is Pilling H G Pigott his parents were absent so his elder sister Gertrude is down as the head.

In 1861 Isle of Man census RG9; Piece: 4419; Folio: 39; Page: 20; he is shown as Pelling H G Piggott (two gs two ts) with his mother, father and elder sisters.

At some point he must have married as his mother's will (1874) leaves money (£1000) to her son Pelling Hugh Gough Pigott but if he is dead then to his wife (unnamed) and if she is dead to his child or children then living,
              payable at 21 or marrying. She also leaves money to her grandson Hugh Alexander Pigott £10 - none of her other children had a son called Hugh so he must be Pelling's!

She died in 1884 and did not update her will so Pelling's marriage and Hugh Alexander must've been born before then.
              Bo

Comment

Working...
              X