Irish records going online by July 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish records going online by July 2008

in todays FTM Magazine by July 2008 most of Ireland BMD including both entries from Church registers and and the Civil registration
    Irish Family History Foundation - Online Searching of Irish ancestral and genealogy records (Births, Deaths, Marriages) for Ireland
    hope this is right

I got the birth certificate for my great uncle who was born in Dublin from information on the IGI. When the Dublin records went on line he wasn't there!
    PAT

Comment

I dread to think how much they will charge though!

Comment

it says searching is free ,but to see the index 10 Euros or £7.40 which is reasonable

Comment

It's 5 euros until the end of March
          PAT

Comment

thats good Pat isnt it ???? It costs £7 for a cert so I think £7.40 aint bad

Comment

It's expensive unless you have a very uncommon name, because you can't be sure you have the right person until you've paid.

Comment

Sorry I haven't looked but what sort of dates are they talking about?

I have lots borns c1840 or before - Is there any chance these would be included?

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

not sure but it would probably say on the site !!
                  But thats the same for here Mary I have often got the wrong cert

Comment

The search terms are very limited and the results can be disappointing.
                    Fortunately I knew the name of my grandfather's parents and managed to get their (probable) marriage. However, it had no ages, address, occupations, or parents' names, just the names of the two witnesses and the parish. So, a final dead end on that line!
                    The burial was even worse - nothing other than a name and date - no way of knowing if it was the right person. I'm very glad I only wasted 5 euros on it, not 10.

This was Westmeath - I don't know if it is typical of other areas.
                    Gillian
                    User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

hi Gillian that sounds awful I am not researching any Irish at present so maybe I should count myself lucky then ?????

Comment

Val - now that I know how skimpy the information in the records can be, I'm just relieved I was never tempted to apply to the Westmeath Heritage Centre direct with its initial search fee of 95 euros!
                        Gillian
                        User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Val

Where the Irish system is rather unhelpful is that you have no idea until you have paid your money, whether you are in with a real chance of finding your ancestor or not. I have 3 choices of a Cummins and O'Neill marriage in Tipperary and Kilkenny. I also have a choice of 10 John O'Neill baps for Tipperary. A cost of about £70 to find my John O'Neill bap is totally unnacceptable. Now, if they would give me a hint as to which parish all these Marriages and Baps took place I would have a good idea which ones to choose. If I want to purchase a cert for an ancestor in this country who was born in Southwark, I am unlikely to be interested in a same name, same date ancestor born in Hertford, and I am given a good choice of index before purchase. Yes, we still make mistakes and purchase the wrong ones but the chances are much more heplful and realistic.

I will also reiterate that these Irish parish registers that are coming online are far from complete. None of the Martley/Cummins and O'Neill that I have personally researched in Tipperary are actually on the online index!

Irish Parish Registers will not give you names of fathers for marriage
                          extracts, but neither will you get this info on UK Parish Registers. You will only get this info on Baptisms. Irish ones are good in that you will always get witnesses for marriage and sponsors for baptisms and very often people named are family.

Incidentally I could find no Martley for Meath and I know that there are hundreds!!

Janet
                          Last edited by Janet; 20-03-08, 14:09.

Comment

I've already got loads of birth and marriage certificates relating to Co. Dublin plus details from Parish Records......but none of them on either of the Co Dublin links..as of yet.

I just hope they will continue to add more in the future. My Grans' Brady family were living in Dublin City in 1911 and would love to find out which ones of the 18 children died and if there were any more born after my Gran in 1894.
                            teresa

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post
                              Val

Irish Parish Registers will not give you names of fathers for marriage
                              extracts, but neither will you get this info on UK Parish Registers. You will only get this info on Baptisms. Irish ones are good in that you will always get witnesses for marriage and sponsors for baptisms and very often people named are family.

Janet
                              I got my ggparents marriage from these records last weekend and it sis have their fathers names but not their occupations. Just need to wait till the Cavan 1911 census comes online to try and push some other avenues.

For some unknown reason there was some extra info on my grandads baptisim giving the date of his marriage to my nan, the witnesses and the priests name LOL :D

Always worth a lucky dip as you never know what might come up!

Comment

Teresa

What you have got online now as paying sites is sadly all you will get, unless there is another initiative by the European Union to finance more young unemployed Irish to do more work, an unlikely scenario now given the Irish Economy is booming, unlike the 1970's when Ireland had just entered the EU as a struggling very poor nation. The Irish Parish Registers that have been transcribed, and now appearing online were done back in the 1970's by the unemployed on the back of our tax money!! And they were done very incompletely, and this is the biggest bugbear that we all have who have been tracing Irish History for many years. These online sites were previously under the umbrella of the Heritage Sites which used to charge a couple of hundred pounds for an initial half page survey and a further £200 to £300 for a "full" report. The Irish grumbled as much as anyone over the rates but the Americans back in the 1970's, 1980's and even 1990's were willing to pay the prices so everybody got clobbered. Now the Americans are not so prepared to pay these prices so the prices may drop!

If you are lucky enough to have your folk back to Cork County then I am finding much free info coming online through the Cork Genealogy Society as they are constantly sending me more and more free info which is very useful. Other counties are doing some of the same and I know that many Irish Family Historians are trying to break the monopoly of these Heritage Sites by puttting as much as possible online for free. Cost to join Cork Genealogy Society is about £11 per year. Google for more info.

Peppie

By "Irish Parish Registers" I do mean those registers pre STATE REGISTRATION ie pre 1864 or slightly earlier for Protestant marriages. These will not have father's names on "marriage certs" as you will not be able to get a marriage cert pre 1864 (slightly earlier for Protestant marriages) but you can find the fathers' names by perusing the baptismal registers. This is the same for UK pre State Registration of 1837.

Janet
                                Last edited by Janet; 20-03-08, 17:30.

Comment

Second what has been said by Janet and Gillian. The good thing about Leitrim is it does let you search by Parish, (I don't think it did when they first went online about 6 months ago, does now) but the records I downloaded still turned out to be unconnected to mine so that's no garauntee either, though I've kept them for my records in case they are distant relations. What does annoy me though is someone else kindly looked up my family in the parish register (you can get alot of them from LDS, he was transcribing it from the Latin) and mine were there, though the records he transcribed for me for some bizzarre reason arn't on the Leitrim Geneaology Centres website!

Also when I used them direct for a wedding extract about a year ago, they took 14 pounds for the extract (that's how much it cost before this website came online) When this guy did the very same look up for free, he found there was extra additional info, very relevent too on the parish townland of bride and groom and witnesses, all of which they presumably just hadn't bothered to write up! C'mon not good service is it.

Sad to say, and genuinely mean that as I love the land and history, it is so far my experience of Irish geneaology they make a bad situation worse by providing a poor service for big bucks.

Comment

Thanks for that Janet! just getting grndads baptisim and his father felt like a blimming miracle! :D then I got it push back slightly further and nearly fainted ;)

Come on Belfast get your records going! I want nannys parents marriage now :D

Comment

Just wish I knew where to start with my Irish rellies. Born Ireland is a real help.

Thought I'd got somewhere once with Bornet Ireland - and wondered in which county was that :D:D try it with an Irish accent and you'll know why!!!

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

J Bee

To answer your earlier question of how far back the Online Irish Parish Registers go very much depends on where your folk are from. Many Catholic Irish Records do not go back much further than 1825, due to the fact that to practice your RC religion in Ireland was actually illegal, same as in the UK though there was much leniency from 1750 onwards. Irish people, unlike the English, Scots and Welsh refused to marry and have their children baptised in Protestant Churches so priests were always around to marry and baptise, although many Irish Catholic Churches were not around until late 1700's/early 1800's. People were much more stubborn in Ireland over their religion, and mass was said at special Mass Rocks all over Ireland and the paths that led to these places were known as Mass Paths. Similarly Irish people wanted their children educated by catholics so before state schools were in existence in the rest of the UK Ireland had its Hedge Schools. You can google search "Hedge Schools" and "Mass Rocks" and "Mass Paths" for more information. Some records, but very few, go back to 1750ish, but most do not start until around 1830. Protestant Records go back to the 1600's in Ireland although Protestant Records in the rest of the UK go back to 1538. However, many Protestant Records were destroyed in the 1922 Forecourts Fire in Dublin National Archives, so even fewer Protestant Records exist than RC ones, which have always remained with the Catholic Churches all over Ireland and still do today, with microfilm copies in the National Library in Dublin. The remaining Protestant records are at the National Archives Dublin.

My own Tipperary Records go back to 1795 which is good for Irish records and Waterford goes back to about 1750 which is one of the earliest.

I do so sympathise if you just have Ireland for your ancestors. Sometimes photos, later census, death notices in newspapers, something in their lives that may have caused a newspaper report or even relatives you have still in Ireland can be pointers to where they might have come from.

Janet
                                        Last edited by Janet; 21-03-08, 12:27.

Comment

Working...
                                        X