Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• access to newspapers via infotrac

Just received this email
    Thank you for your e-mail. Access to Infotrac requires you to access the resource from the Virtual Reference Library page and enter your Cheshire Libraries card number. This is printed on the reverse of your Cheshire libraries card.

If you do not have a Cheshire Libraries card, you can register at any Cheshire library (Cheshire County Council - Libraries) or register online at Welcome to your Virtual Library, however due to licensing conditions, in order to access Infotrac you will need full membership of Cheshire Libraries, which requires a visit to a Cheshire library

try this site i think its the one you req

Apologies but the link has been removed - we cannot be seen to support an unauthorised access to the site.
    Elaine (Admin)
    Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 20-03-08, 18:30.

]Please note that images I restore are only temporarily kept on photobucket

[/B]FOR RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN ALL PICS AT 300-600 dpi

ALAN

Alan, if its the same as the Suffolk Libraries (which I can access with my library card), there is an Infotrac newspaper database, but it doesn't contain the 19th century papers that we were searching the other day.

Comment

If you want to access the 17th /18th century collection and the 19th century collection, contact Gale or Cengage (whoever sells the license in UK) and ask them which libraries have it. I did that and they got my local library to trial them. Hopefully they will then buy the complete product.

Comment

I don't suppose I shall ever persuade an Italian library to do that.
        Last edited by Mary from Italy; 20-03-08, 09:23.

Comment

Alan - This sounds similar to the Bedfordshire situation a few weeks ago. "Virtual" members from outside Bedfordshire had access to Infotrac withdrawn because it was contravening the licence conditions.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I went into Carlisle library yesterday and asked if they had access to The Times Digital Archive ..... they'd never heard of it :(

However they were very positive and I filled in a suggestion form so I hope they will soon consider it. I would be pleased just to get The Times (which I had from Bedfordshire before they had to withdraw it).

The 'accidental' access that we got to the 19C collection earlier this week gave me some great stuff and answered a lot of questions about someone who was in prison on the 1871 census. However it was very limited in the newspapers it had and I suspect libraries would be less willing to subscribe to that one. I think most universities do though ..... so if you know a student :p

Anne

Comment

Actually I had a look at the website of my old university, because I know they do offer some services to alumni, but apparently although they do allow you to join their library, online resources aren't available to alumni.

Anyone who's in England and can visit their library personally to get a card should be able to access the Times Digital Archive; it's just remote access for people who don't live in the library's area that's been withdrawn.

The British Library's 19th century newspaper collection's another matter. I assume it was digitised with public money, in which case it should be available to the public, not just a small elite with access to universities.

There's a detailed list here of the newspapers included, with information about the project.

British Library 19th century newspapers : JISC
              Last edited by Mary from Italy; 20-03-08, 15:23.

Comment

I was confused by that Mary because the site from which we had access to the British 19C newspapers was Gale Infotract, which as far as I can see is an American commercial company.

I read it that the British Library had selected the papers to offer a cross section of 19C regional news and Infotract had digitised the microfilms. Did the BL select them 'for' Infotract?? I can't work it out

Anne

Comment

Not sure - I found a better BL page explaining the project a day or two ago, which suggests that the original idea was to give free online access to the database, but I can't find it now. I'll post it when I do.

Comment

infotrac

message has been updated with new email site

ALAN

Comment

You can't get into that any more Alan. They discovered the 'leak' and plugged it!

Anne

Comment

Anne I am looking at it now

ALAN

Comment

Well do you have the password then??? I only get the Pennsylvania library logon page. Cannot get any further without the password. Also tired clicking on Athens Users link and that also requires a password.

I was able to access it for a few days earlier this week.

Anne

Comment

sorry i do not have a password I just open the web address

ALAN

Comment

It works for me as well.

Comment

Ooh, that's not fair!

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                                  Ooh, that's not fair!
                                  Here! Here! :(
                                  Gillian
                                  User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

I never really understand all the politics involved in these cases. Perhaps Im too thick. Is there no way you can buy credits for these sites? If they have produced them, I cant see why they should limit the access to them.

Comment

I spent ages looking at their various sites after the access was withdrawn to see if there was any kind of pay-per-view system, but there doesn't seem to be.

Comment

I found I could open the database for a few days after they "plugged the leak" by going to the pages I saved in my favourites and backtracking. Only worked for a couple of days.

I never did get into the 17th and 18th century stuff, which is what I really want.

But my lovely library is at least trialling it so fingers crossed.

Comment

Working...
                                        X