No announcement yet.

anyone on bt broadband can help please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone on bt broadband can help please?

good morning...i`m in the process of installing a new laptop at this very minute...i want to know if i can plug it into the bt broadband box as well as my pc,and use them both at the same time...is this possible..and if so,where do i plug my connection...also...can i go upstairs and plug the laptop in the bedroom phone socket,and use it ,as well as the pc downstairs?...thanks ..allan
    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Hello Garstonite, are you there? I have a bt broadband hub and I have the user manual in front of me

Comment

Allan

Is your laptop wireless?

What router do you have?

If you have a wireless router and a wi fi laptop then your laptop should just pick up the signal from the router. You will have to fill in the network key.

Comment

Originally posted by Pilgrim View Post
        Hello Garstonite, are you there? I have a bt broadband hub and I have the user manual in front of me

Pilgrim

We have just binned our BT Hub. Forever losing the signal and refused to work wirelessly. What is the point of a wireless laptop that needs to be connected via an ethernet cable? We also had to keep unplugging it.
        That was our third. They are a heap of ****.

We had no intention of spending an hour and a half on the phone to India, being charged, going through the same things all over again to be told after all that time we needed another new hub.

We now have a BT Voyager 2110 wireless router.

Mind you when our contract is up next January we are changing isp.

Comment

Margaret our BT hub and connection was exactly the same, useless! Yesterday we changed over to O2 and up to now everythings great. Its a lot faster and all the phonecalls to the help centre are free, its about £12 a month cheaper too lol..

]

Comment

Margaret,
            Fortunately for me I don't have wireless, just a bog standard desktop set, but I just would like to mention that a few days ago I had a personal call from BT offering to reduce my quarterly bill by 12 pounds (which I accepted) only to find out the following day that the Uswitch report named them as the most expensive and rubbish ISP.

Oh well s*** happens!

I have had this new hub for months but didn't bother to install it, then something happened where I lost all connection info on my computer so I thought I would give it a go, so far so good,

Comment

Hi Pilgrim and Light

We are stuck with them until January.

We are thinking about Sky. We have two friends who have it and are well pleased.

The cost including TV is very good.
              Last edited by Margaret in Burton; 20-03-08, 10:06.

Comment

hi all...sorry about that,but i shut down to allow the cd rom to laptop to feed...i`ve not been able to connect laptop..it keeps saying not connected,,,,so i`ve checked the user guide..bt total broadband/220v router..it states I CAN run 2 computers...at the back of the router where it shows the 2nd computer is connected,i have it taped over (by bt)..it states to peel back to reveal usb port..i connect straight from this to the laptop..its a small usb...i have a lead that will fit ,the other end being a large usb fitting...do i just plug this in?...can`t see that being a phoneline connection somehow?...thanks...allan
                Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire

Comment

I have my Router in the Garage on my PC but am using the Laptop indoors which is now picking up the signal fine since I moved this Laptop into a different room.
                  Im with Talktalk .

Comment

Allan

You laptop should be wireless if its new. You don't have to connect anything to it, it connects remotely.

Right click on the little monitor on the right, near the clock on your task bar and click on "view available wireless networks"

You should see your router. Put in network key and you should be on.

Comment

hi margaret..i bought the bt/router and pc in november..don`t think its wireless...i have clicked on ,and it says bt broadband help...the next says.."not connected" right click for help...should i right click?...allan ADDED....PAGE CANNOT BE DISPLAYED...back to square 1 i think...lol...allan
                      ADDED...sorry,i have to go out...i`ll be back abt 3pm...allan
                      Last edited by garstonite; 20-03-08, 10:20.

Comment

Does the router have an aerial?

If so it is wireless, if not then you will have to connect via an ethernet cable, bit pointless with a laptop.

Suggest you make sure router is wireless and if not buy one that is.

Do you see the little moniter on your task bar near the clock?

If so, right click on it and choose "view available wireless networks"

If you can do that, what networks can you see? Do you see your router?

Comment

hi margaret.....nothing about wireless networks...definitely not a wireless router...going to see a bit of a comp buff in the pub to see if he can connect laptop to router...its only to stop our grandchildren fighting to go on the computer...lol....allan

Comment

Working...
                          X