Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone help?

I am really stuck.

18th Mar 1895 Clerkenwell, London Joseph Nixon and Annie, daughter of Harry Heudebourck (umbrella maker) both 19 and of York Road, marry. Witnesses are (I think) Thomas and Eliza Arter. Can't find Joseph and Annie on the 1901.

In the army records of Annie's second husband, Frederick Elias Carr, the marriage is given as 18th March 1896. Joseph was born 22 Nov 1878 St Lukes and was killed in action in 1916 and Annie was born 24th Sep 1880 Central Street St Lukes. It gives four children to the Nixon-Heudebourck marriage - born 1905, 1908, 1912 and 1914 all in Barnsbury, Islington.

The army records gives Annie's second marriage to Frederick Carr as 21 Jan1919 Islington and their address as Payne Street, Islington. They were both widowed and aged 38. But the actual marriage certificate records Annie as Annie Jane Nixon daughter of Samuel Walker, stonemason.

The two Nixon children born after the mother's maiden name appear are indexed with the mmn as Walker.

I'm guessing that Samuel Walker might have been Annie's stepfather but I can't find Annie on the 1881 1891 or 1901 to back anything up. There is a Henry Heudebourck marrying in 1863 Bethnal Green on FreeBMD and a Henry Heudebourck dying in Shoreditch aged 58 in 1891 but otherwise I am clueless as to what to do.

Heudebourck seems to be a Huguenot name.

I have to go to work now but if anyone has any thoughts I'd be very grateful.
    Asa

Hi Asa, my first thought was that with the war, maybe Harry had changed his foreign sounding name. That doesn't account for the change of the Christian name, though.

Then I thought that I would try to find Annie with her parents on the earlier census.
    No joy in 1891, so looked for them in 1881.......found a Henry Heudebourck, master umbrella maker, but there is no Annie with them.
    - Ancestry.co.uk

I notice that you have a death for Harry in 1991, so looked for a remarriage for his wife to Samuel Walker, but didn't find any.

Comment

Asa the Huedebourks link up to my Mourgue family back in the 1700's, through my 6x great aunties marriage, and are Huguenot descendents I know that much. (By the way still trying to get that Bachelier info for us both!)

Comment

Asa

Had a look through my own notes and the Henry Heudebourk who married 1863 was an umbrella maker (could be 'Harry'?). They do descend from my 6xg auntie Charlotte Mourgue.

Samuel Heudebourq b.1627 and Susanne Bauvoin of St Obin France
        |
        Samuel Huedebourg b.1646 Amiens France
        I
        Samuel Huedbourg b.1670 Canterbury
        |
        Ezekial Huedebourg b.1697 London
        |
        Samuel Huedeborg b.1723 Bethnal green
        |
        Samuel Huedibork b.1754 Bishopsgate (m Charlotte Mourgue)
        |
        Samuel Huedebourk b.1791 Shoreditch
        |
        John Huedebourk b.1822 Shoreditch
        |
        Henry Huedebourk b.1844 Shoreditch (Umbrella Frame Maker) m 1863

This is not my own research though, the Huedebourks not being direct relations, but rather the research of two other researchers, looks well researched but can't vouch for accuracy, though I do have their contact details.
        Last edited by Richard; 20-03-08, 10:02.

Comment

These are children they have listed to him:

Susannah 1863. St Lukes
          Henry 1871 St Lukes
          James 1873 Forest Gate
          Emma 1873 St Lukes
          Robert 1875 Forest Gate
          Elizabeth 1877 Forest Gate
          Mary 1877 Forest Gate
          Lea 1881 St Lukes

They don't have an Annie, but does look as if he moved in between Forest Gate and St Lukes.

Comment

1881 Census No 6 Broad Harrow Court, St Lukes, Holborn (RG11/368 f 52/68 p. 25)

Henry Huedebourck , 37, Master Umbrella Maker, City of London
            Lizzie Huedebourck, wife, 36, City of London
            Lizzie Huedebourck, 17, Domestic, City of London
            Henry Huedebourck, 11, St Lukes Middlesex
            Emma Huedebourck, 10, St Lukes Middlesex
            James Huedebourck, 8, Forest Gate Essex
            Robert Huedebourck, 6, Forest Gate Essex
            Elizabeth Huedebourck, 4 Forest Gate Essex
            Mary A Huedebourck, 4 Forest Gate Essex
            Lea E Huedebourck, 7 months, St Luke Middlesex

Struggling to find either of the families in other censi. I'm thinking though there is no Annie, perhaps she is Mary Ann, as she would have been 19 in 1895 right age for the marriage?
            Last edited by Richard; 20-03-08, 11:08.

Comment

Henrys wife Susannah/Lizzie Heudebourck died Jan-March Q 1890 Shoreditch, so couldn't have remarried.

Comment

Well, I've been looking at this for 2 hours and have found............Virtually nothing!!

I could bore you with all the things I've looked at, but will limit it to these few bits:

1) There is only the one Samuel Walker in the London area who is a mason. b abt 1847/48 in St Pancras, married 1st to Jane from Birmingham and 2nd to Sarah Skarratt (that's probably her previous married surname) in 1896. They are together in 1901.

2) Henry Heudebourck didn't die in 1891, he died in 1901 after the census in Shoreditch, but that hasn't helped find him!

3) In 1891 there should be a Henry Heudebourck aged 44 living in Poplar, but I can't find him on Ancestry. He is listed as married, but I can't establish his wife's name. I just wondered who he was???? (shouldn't your man be a widower according to Richard's post?)

4) Erm.......something else I've forgotten!! ????

5) I can see Joseph Nixon in 1881 and 1891. Maybe he went to the Boer War for 1901? (his twin brother is still here!)

6) Seems surprising Joseph and Annie didn't have any children until 1905.......Maybe no others survived?

Comment

Here's the 1891 Poplar Henry I mentioned in 3) above:

RG12; Piece: 316; Folio 101; Page 21

I can't read his occupation.

Should we be finding him in 1881, to make sure he doesn't have a dau Annie??

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                    Should we be finding him in 1881, to make sure he doesn't have a dau Annie??
                    That didn't work!!

Henry HENDLEBOURCH Head M 35 Provision Dealer b Bethnal G, Middlesex
                    Frances HENDLEBOURCH Wife M 31 Mile End, Middlesex
                    Nelly HENDLEBOURCH Daur 8 Bethnal G, Middlesex
                    Bertram HENDLEBOURCH Son 1 Bethnal G, Middlesex

323 Roman Rd, Bow, London

Comment

This is of no use to your research but my best friends maiden name was Heudebourck but sadly she's not into Family History! However her father got so fed up with having to spell his name all the time that in his professional life he used 'Burke'. Possibly your ancestor did something similar....
                      Sue

Comment

I think that's Henry is our ones first cousin Merry, ie the son of Henry the umbrella makers uncle, yet another Henry born 1817, his dad Johns brother.

Comment

Certainly a possibility Sue, not thought of that, I'd assumed the trouble finding them would be down to bad transcription, but I suppose you could well be right there.

Comment

Thank you to everyone for all the ideas, help and actually finding some of them! I'll answer things bit by bit.

Lyn, I don't know how I missed that family, so thank you very much. I've probably been concentrating too hard on the 'Annie daughter of Harry'
                            Asa

Comment

The Huguenot world gets smaller doesn't it Richard! Thank you very much for all the information. I can't think that it would be likely that there are two Henrys who are umbrella makers unless of course it's a near relation.

I'm not descended from Annie. Her second husband is my great x 2 uncle and his first wife was also my great x 2 aunt. But also, Annie's seemingly eldest son married my great aunt.

I'm tempted with the idea of Annie being Mary Ann. If the details in Fred Carr's army records were correct, Annie would have only been 14 when she married Joseph Nixon. But then the records are very detailed and apart from that very accurate - very often with army records, copies of actual certificates seem to have been produced. Does anyone know if this was compulsary?

Thank you for all your efforts, Merry. Before I came across the army records and had a copy of Annie's first marriage I was convinced that that particular Samuel Walker was her father.

I haven't had time to investigate all the Henrys that people have come up with on the census yet but will reappear when I have done. I also found it odd that Joseph and Annie didn't have children for ten years. As you say, some may have died young. I must try the army records for Joseph again - but even supposing he was away in the army, Annie should be somewhere!
                              Asa

Comment

Sue, that's funy - seems to be a very unusual surname. I'm really hoping that he didn't change his name! But the jump from Henry/ Harry Heudebourck umbrella maker to Samuel Walker stone mason is quite a big one lol
                                Asa

Comment

ASA, if it helps my g-g-g grandfather names was Henry, bur named his first born Harry, I suspect because he was probably always known as Harry himself. In fact come to think of it isn't prince Harry actually a 'Henry'? and then King Henry V was of course Prince Hal..'for Harry, God and England" and all that...I'm sure its the same fellow, seems a fairly unusual occupation to follow. Whether Annie is his daughter or not...that's the puzzle. I tend to think yes she is, and the Army record is wrong on the year, perhaps she lied about her age? but then Mary Ann to - Annie Jane? I don't know something else is going on here I think and we must all be missing it.

Comment

Hi Richard - it's not the Henry/Harry thing worrying me, like you it's the Mary Ann to Annie Jane. Plus of course who the heck was Samuel Walker. I do think there's something odd here
                                    Asa

Comment

I agree it would be nice if Annie was Mary Ann!

I notice they have the wrong year of birth for Joseph Nixon in the army record. He could have been born 22nd Nov though, but in 1876, not 1878:

Births Mar 1877
                                      Nixson Joseph Holborn 1b 793 (correct district for St Luke's)

Six weeks to register the birth, taking it into Q1 1877.

So, if they have the year wrong for Joseph, they may well have the year wrong for Annie too.......

Births Sep 1878
                                      HEUDEBIRG Mary Ann W. Ham 4a 96 (correct district for Forest Gate)

I wonder if they registered her quickly and she was born 24th Sept?

Comment

Does prove though doesn't it that the Army clearly did not have the birth certs and were going on what they were told.

Comment

Working...
                                        X