So what am I then?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So what am I then?

On the back of my birth certificate the minister noted that I was privately baptised into the Welsh Presbyterian Church. This happened in my Nain's front room, me being sickly and all. The church was Trinity Presbyterian Church in Barry

However, my parents were married in the same church many years earlier and their wedding cert says they were married in Trinity Calvinist Methodist Church. I've googled and discovered that there are several more Welsh Presbyterian churches of the Calvinist Methodist persuasion but I always thought they were different religions.

Can any theologian help me out here?
    Gwynne

Hi Guinevere

That's intreating sounds a bit similar to what seemed to have happened in Montreal. I have copy of marriage certificate and the Act of marriage for hubbies grandparents but neither said where they married . I was trawling through the marriage entry in the Vital records to try and find out, I did eventually.

I would be interested to find out the answer. Wonder if Presbyterian and Methodist became united all over.

This is what I found for the church the Grandparents married.
    Sources of Montreal-W
    Last edited by deletejb; 20-03-08, 06:59.

Comment

I know Presbyterians and Calvinists are more or less the same, but I did think Methodists were a different bunch, followers of John Wesley.

Comment

From wikipedia:

"Calvinistic Methodists are a body of Christians forming the Presbyterian Church of Wales and claiming to be the only denomination of the Presbyterian order in Wales which is of purely Welsh origin.

Its beginnings may be traced to the labours of the Rev. Griffith Jones (1684–1761), of Llanddowror, Carmarthenshire, whose sympathy for the poor led him to set on foot a system of circulating charity schools for the education of children. In striking contrast to the general apathy of the clergy of the period, Griffith Jones' zeal appealed to the public imagination, and his powerful preaching exercised a widespread influence, many travelling long distances in order to attend his ministry. There was thus a considerable number of earnest people dispersed throughout the country waiting for the rousing of the parish clergy."

Comment

Thanks for that, Richard. That explains it nicely.
          Gwynne

Comment

Schism: another word to add to your list of longer words with mostly consonants, such as phthisis.
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
            X