re-using names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• re-using names

having another go at my OH's SMITHS (don't all groan at once)

I know it was fairly common to re-use first names if a child had died, but what if the children were still alive, albeit not at home?
    Vicky

I only have that happening once where both parents are the same people (two Fredericks with same parents and both are still alive!).

Apart from that, I have two families where the father marries twice and in one case the first son is called William and the first son with the new wife is also William (the first Wm is 100% still alive)....in the other case there are two daughters called Elizabeth....again same father but not same mother; first Elizabeth still alive.

I have 1800 sets of parents on my tree, so still not a common occurrence!

Comment

One of the English Tudor composers seemed to have been a whole family of people with the same name, as far as I could make out when I looked him up!

I had a feeling it was Thomas Weelkes - who had several sons, all called Thomas.

I suppose it made it easier to remember everyone's names!

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I'm clutching at straws really! Definitely 2 different mothers, just not sure at the moment if the father is the same person... I was wondering if the re-use of names might be the clincher. I'll pull together the details & post them for a second opinion.
        Vicky

Comment

OK then, this is what I know.

John Smith married 1850 in Culcheth, saying he was a widow. His father is William Smith, farmer. Catherine was a spinster, with at least one illegitimate child.

This is him on the 1851 census, living Platt Lane, Culcheth (Newchurch)
          HO107/2204; Folio 198, Page 18
          John Smith b 1811, Warrington, carter.
          Catherine b 1820, Culcheth
          William b. 1844 Culcheth
          John b 1849 Culcheth
          Jenny b 1850 Culcheth
          Alice Taylor b 1842 Culcheth

By 1861 he has two more children, Catherine (1855) & Isaac (1860)

Now I know the obvious thing to do is to get William's birth certificate, but even on Lancs BMD there are 2 possibilities for both 1843 & 1844 - and that's just for Culcheth. In 1841 there are THREE John Smiths living in the area, so I can’t reliably ask for a reference check on father’s name.

Looking at the 1841 census, out of the 3 possibilities for John & a first wife, this one is also living Platt Lane,& he is a labourer.
          The household consists of:
          John age 30 labourer
          Martha age 30
          Isaac age 13
          Ann age 9
          Jenny age 6
          Charlotte age 2
          All born in county.

IGI has a marriage in the right area – John Smith & Martha Massey, 19/2/1828, Winwick (the chapel at Newchurch didn’t do marriages till 1837)
          I’ve also found baptisms for these 4 children (they are submitted on the IGI but do agree to transcripts I have seen)

This Isaac appears to be living with a family of Masseys in 1851 – I haven’t worked out the connection yet (he is described as “lodger”) but the surname is too much of a coincidence to ignore.

I just want these two John Smiths to be the same person! Hopefully with the names Isaac, Charlotte & Jenny cropping up I might be able to sort out the rest of his ancestors. The chap I’m following (the John b. 1848/9) also named a son Isaac.
          Last edited by Vicky the Viking; 19-03-08, 22:11.
          Vicky

Comment

Vicky.................I have my famous lot who named all their daughters Isabell Gordon Grant and all their boys Robert Gordon Grant.

But....I have plenty where the children of the second wife are given the same names as the first wife's children. Same father.

So often I have John and Mary who have Harry, Jack, and Sally. Then Mary dies...John remarries and bingo......another Harry or Jack, etc while the first one is still well and truly alive. Seems to happen more with sons in my lot.

Comment

Working...
            X