Most Christian names? A record?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Christian names? A record?

I've heard of people now a days naming their children after football teams, but when I happened on

Isabella A W I C C A C Moffat on the 1851 in Northumberland, I assumed it was a transcription error.

However I've found her on FreeBMD, registered March quarter 1848 Glendale

Isabella Wilhelmina Carolina Jacobina Adelina Cunningham Campbell Moffat

Can anyone beat this?
    ~ Louise ~

Researching Dalzell, Highmore & Sumpton in Cumbria, also Braidford & Chevalier

I seem to remember that the year Leicester City won the FA Cup, some idiot named his daughter after the whole team. Another called his child Wembley Leicester something or other.

I haven't found such a long name in the 19th c or earlier, but I'm sure you would find some among the nobility.
    Last edited by Mary from Italy; 19-03-08, 15:48.

Comment

This Isabella is a farmer's daughter from Northumberland, with 2 older sisters called Jane & Mary!!
      Last edited by Meridian Line; 19-03-08, 15:52. Reason: spelling!
      ~ Louise ~

Researching Dalzell, Highmore & Sumpton in Cumbria, also Braidford & Chevalier

Comment

Hmm, what about this one?

Longest names@Everything2.com
        Michael, aged 1/4 of a century

Comment

Some of her names are female versions of male names, perhaps her parents were naming her in place of a wanted son. Or they gave her lots of godparents in the hope that they would provide for her!
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Carolina Wilhelmina was the consort of King George II, considered one of the great Queen Consorts in History. Isabella, like wise perhaps the greatest Queen consort in European history. Jacobina maybe a nod to the Scottish roots, ie Campbell?

Just trying to think outside the box as to why all these names..so unusual I'm sure there must have been some significance, it's intriguing isn't it.
            Last edited by Richard; 19-03-08, 20:58.

Comment

Courtesy of a christmas book there was a Xenia Marelina Veronique Caroline Sophia Murray Moore born Richmond 1888 along with all sorts of other outlandish ones including a completely OTT girl b in 1985 and given 139 names!
              Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

Comment

I know there's a girl in the GRO index with a Christian name beginnning with each letter of the alphabet except for the one that her surname began with (think it was an L). Can't remember her name now, though, but I'll see if I can find it...
                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Oh, I've found it - it's Ann Bertha C D E F G H I J K L M N O Q R S T U V W X Y Z Pepper (if you look on FreeBMD it misses the last few initials off - must have been too long for their program!)
                  KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                  (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

My dads sister (the only girl in a family of 14!) was given 12 names, all flowers!! I guess their mum had waited so long for a girl she had all the names saved up.

Comment

Can you imagine the look on the Registrar's face, lol. How did he fit them all in that little box?

OC

Comment

Image trying to teach a littley how to spell their name....especially that German one!! His surname was OTT!!

Comment

A friend of mine graduated last year and has now gone into teaching; her family is Greek, I feel really sorry for the kids who have to attempt to spell her surname!
                          Michael, aged 1/4 of a century

Comment

Working...
                          X