Closing down computer from keyboard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Closing down computer from keyboard?

We used to be able to do this when we were running Windows 98 by pressing the Windows key+U+rtn but that doesn't work with Windows XP.As far as I can see from Googling, there IS no way of shutting down the computer in XP other than using the onscreen prompts and the mouse pointer. So what do you do if your monitor fails when the computer is switched on? Isn't there an alternative safe way to close everything down? My new keyboard has buttons labelled "power","sleep" and "wake". Are they meant to close down the computer? I didn't have anything like them on my old keyboard and dare not touch them until I know what they do (no instructions of any kind with the keyboard - I just plugged it in and it worked).Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Ann
    ".... thy memory shall be blest by the children of the children of thy child".
    Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Oh my keyboard is a microsoft on and it has log off but have never used it so dont know answer to this
    borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

hi Ann,

press the windows key
      then letter U
      then letter U

I do it all the time.

Or if you want to restart press windows
      U
      then R

On your menu (and on menus in Word) sometimes you will see a letter in the middle of a word is underlined. That means that particular letter will be a shortcut key. Sometimes it will work on its own, sometimes you will have to use the alt or cntrl key in conjunction with the letter.

when you have got the windows start menu up you will see that the U of 'turn off computer' is underlined.

Long answer for a short question, sorry lol.
      Rose

Comment

Alternatively you can use the Windows Key and the the arrow keys to navigate the Start Menu: Win Key > Up Arrow > Enter will bring up the shutdown menu allowing you to use your arrow keys again to choose restart/shutdown/log off etc.

Comment

But what the lady was asking was if the monitor has failed and you cannot see the screen

Comment

it will still work even if you can't see the screen (I assume - never tried it). Just 3 key strokes: window, U, U.

As to sorting out a failed monitor.... someone else will need to answer that one lol.
            Rose

Comment

Plus you always have the last resort of switching it off with the power button. While its not ideal, computers are a lot more robust than they used to be and turning it off this way on the rare occasion is very unlikely to cause any problems.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your input...especially Rose who's advice (Windows key + U + U) worked. I just tried it - you're a star Rose.

The reason I asked about this was because my monitor suddenly began to play up by changing colour and flashing in an alarming way. It came to me that, if it conked out altogether, I didn't know how to shut the computer down, other than by switching off the power. I wanted to avoid doing that if possible so I hurriedly closed my computer and hot-footed it into town to the computer shop. They tested my poor old monitor and confirmed that it was on the verge of dying. I now have a beautiful new wide-screen one but wanted to find out how I would close down the computer using the key board, just in case of future emergencies (which I hope won't happen but, knowing computers, are quite likely to!). Now I know, thanks to FTF!

And the buttons on my new key board which say "power", "wake" and sleep"? Anyone know how do I put them to use please?

Ann
                Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

Originally posted by Ann from Sussex View Post
                  Thanks everyone for your input...especially Rose who's advice (Windows key + U + U) worked. I just tried it - you're a star Rose.

Ann
                  glad to be of help. I find it simpler and do it every time.
                  Rose

Comment

The power sleep and wake buttons do basically what they say as long as your pc recognizes the keys. try them with nothing running so you don't loose any thing. I use the power key on my pc as it is hard to get to the power button on the case

Comment

Originally posted by phantom666_uk View Post
                      The power sleep and wake buttons do basically what they say as long as your pc recognizes the keys. try them with nothing running so you don't loose any thing. I use the power key on my pc as it is hard to get to the power button on the case
                      Thanks!

Ann
                      Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

Working...
                      X