Death registered by Coroner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death registered by Coroner

I have a death certificate from 1856, where the death is registered by the Coroner.
    Does this mean there would have been an inquest. It doesn't say that there was.

The deceased was a 33 year old Dock Labourer who died in the Infirmary (Hull) from a fractured skull.

This is all the info I have, and hope to find more.

Thanks
    Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

An accident like that may have appeared in a newspaper?

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Helen,

I had one at a similar time, contact the local archive office, they may still have coroner's report ( mine didn't ), if not the local newspapers would be a good bet, especially if it was an accident.
      ~ Louise ~

Researching Dalzell, Highmore & Sumpton in Cumbria, also Braidford & Chevalier

Comment

There's quite a good chance there was a newspaper report and it would be reasonably easy to find because you have the date. If it was in the paper it would be in the next issue (daily or weekly paper).

Unfortunately the brief access to the 19C newspapers has been withdrawn again! One of the paperes was the 'Hull Packet and East Riding Times' from which I found a whole catalogue of appearences in the Police Courts for my OH's gg uncle!

Anne

Comment

On my great grandfathers certificate it has, Information received from Lonsdale M Cockcroft Coroner for Northumberland. Inquest held 12th January 1866. I was lucky to find newspaper reports of the mine acident that killed my g grandfather and the inquest details were also given in the newspaper too.
          It would be worthwhile seeing if anyone could look in the papers of the time, they maybe at the Hull Library.
          Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

Thanks for your replies.

I've 2 other certs where inquests were mentioned - one a mining accident in Cumbria and the other turned out to be a case of suspected manslaughter in Dudley.
            I was able to get newspaper reports for both. In the second case I also got newpaper reports of the trial of the suspected manslaughterers. Guilty as sin, they got off.

This cert doesn't mention an inquest, but hopefully there was one. I'm assuming there was some sort of accident at the docks.
            Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

Comment

I have a great uncle who was a dock labourer and died of a fractured skull, he fell into a ship's hold during unloading. (This was in the 1930's and fortunately a newspaper clipping of the inquest was amost my father's papers)
              Mavis
              Dust is a noun, never a verb;)

Comment

A Coroner signing a Death Cert doesn't automatically mean there was an inquest.

If the Coroner is satisfied as to the cause of death being an accident,(or natural causes) he doesn't have to hold an inquest. If he does, then it should say so on the cert.

I THINK! (LOL)

OC

Comment

I have a death by suicide 1889, she (Amy) jumped into the Thames, her death certificate was signed off by the coroner for Surrey. I found at the British Library they her name in there list of articles and sent me a copy, it was very sad to read. A lot of records were lost in WW11 or so I was told. On her Death certificate from the GRO it states that there was an inquest I hope this helps
                  Sheila
                  I think, therefore I am. Descarte

Comment

Working...
                  X