• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bambrosse?

Have just received a marriage cert and the witnesses names appear to be

Thomas Lane Bambrosse
    Anne Jane (or Lane!) Bambrosse

The double ss look like two ff.

I cannot find either of these surnames on Ancestry 1851 (the marriage was 1843).

Could the name BAMBOROUGH be pronounced Bambroff do we think? This was in Manchester.

OC

Don't know about the pronunciation, but I can't see a death reg, any time, for a Thomas Lane anything-beginning-with-B :(

Comment

Thanks Merry.

On reflection, it is probably the name of the two Martians they brought with them when they popped down to earth to get married.

What a useless cert - full age, address Manchester.

OC

Comment

There's people called Bambroff(e) dotted about both on the IGI, GRO indexes and census. Obviously it's possible all the double Fs are double Ss in reality! I can't see a Thomas though.

Was your marriage anywhere Newton Heath??

Comment

Been looking at wedding sites - son getting married and coincidently saw this - so the name exists

Apollos
          Fourways House
          18 Tariff Street Manchester
          Lancashire
          M1 2EP
          United Kingdom
          • Contact Name: Mr J Bambrosse Telephone: 01612361000
          • Fax:
          Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

Oooh, Jean, well done! I might ring him and ask him if he knows these two, lol!

Merry

They married at St John Manchester which isn't actually Newton Heath - but my families who lived in Newton Heath always seemed to use this church for some reason - probably because they knew the vicar was tight lipped and unwilling to write one word more than was legally required!

The bride and groom were living with their respective parents in Ancoats in 1841.

OC

Comment

OC

Could you not post a snippet of the cert for all to see?

Alternative name -

Could it possible be AMBROSE?
              WendyP

Comment

Sorry, having access problems with this site again today.

No, the surname definitely begins with B, but I will have a go at posting the relevant bit.

OC

Comment

OC - from Manchester & Lancashire FHS

Manchester Crematorium Memorials: Index Surnames - BAMBROFFE
                  Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

Oooh OC have a look at this - Thomas Laine Bambroffe - hairdresser bankrupt
                    The Jurist - Google Book Search
                    Last edited by jean; 19-03-08, 16:56.
                    Jean

Comment

Oh good stuff Jean, thankyou!

Still can't find anyone though. Who knows what Ancestry have made of the names. Off to the 1841 for another looky.

OC

Comment

There is a death for a Thomas Laine Bambr* in Dec 1851.....Chorlton Lancashire.

Comment

HI Oc

if you access The Gazette Archive Newpaper there are three mentions of his Bankruptcy plus this address where it states that in Feb 1847 he had been residing for the alst 2 years and 10 months at 51 Oldham Street Manchester.
                          WendyP

Comment

There's a marriage for a Thomas Lane Bambroff Dec 1840....Liverpool

Comment

On the image that marriage is Bombroff.

Comment

Thanks Libby and Wendy!

I am starting to wonder if they were just two wits pulled off the street and really had nothing to do with my couple?

Think I will go back to the 1841 and do a bit of street walking to see if I can spot them as neighbours. In an ideal world, Anne Laine Bambr*** woulsd turn out to be the married sister of my Edward, ha ha.

(Ellen Riddell/Riddall/Riddle etc married Edward/Edwin/Edmond/Edmund Whittaker Garlick in 1843. Ellen Riddle was with her parents in 1841 at Henry St, Ancoats, and Edward was posing as Edmund Garlick, living with (I presume) his stepfather and mother at George Leigh St Ancoats.)

OC

Comment

Right, Thomas L Bombroff married Ann Perkins. Doesn't ring any bells.

Lancsbmd has a large number of variants for this name including Bombrotte, lol.

Off to search the 1841 again.

OC

Comment

OC................you really shouldn't have to "streetwalk" just to find your family.LOL.

Comment

Working...
                                    X