Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cert question

hi,

am i right that when ordering a birth cert through gro online if you enter fathers full name and mothers name, IF they dont match that of cert tey dont send it but return half cost amount?
    **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

That's right. Be careful you put the info in the right place.....

It DOESN'T go here:

"Particulars of the person whose certificate is required"

You need to click "Reference Checking" at the bottom of the same screen.

Beware that the GRO are quite strict about the results of what they check. If you say "dad is Henry" and dad has put himself down as Harry, then you won't get the cert. Same goes for occupations......"smith" and "blacksmith" will be considered different occupations etc

Comment

thanks. thats what i thought.

i ordered what i believed to be my grt aunts birth cert last week and added her fathers full name (as per his death card and sisters birth cert) and her mothers info from sisters birth cert. ticked the reference checking box and filled in bit there and the cert i have received today ISNT her as neither mother nor father are the names i gave for checking.

i also gave my phone number incase of problems etc but no-1 rang etc. i'm ringing them as i type to see what they have to say ar going to do etc.
      Last edited by yummy-mummy-amy; 19-03-08, 12:59.

Comment

i could scream. i was on hold for 30mins to be told that i hadnt filled in the reference checking bit (which i know i did do - blue bit at end). so they cant do anything.

Comment

If they claim you haven't filled in the Reference checking section, then why haven't they sent you the certificate that relates to the GRO reference you have quoted? - or have they provided a certificate that doesn't match with the ref checking you put?
          Elaine

Comment

Exactly - if you ordered, for example

10b 923

then that is what they should have sent you IF you did not fill in any checking points.

If you DID fill in the check points, then they shouldn't have sent it! They can't have it both ways!

OC

Comment

Erm....I think they did sent YM the cert as if she hadn't filled in the checking points......

and the cert i have received today ISNT her as neither mother nor father are the names i gave for checking.

Comment

i put in the following info on both 1st part (what cert you want and on ref checking)

surname at birth
                forenames
                place of birth
                fathers surname
                fathers forename
                mothers maiden name
                mothers forename
                year
                quarter
                district
                vol
                page

then i clicked on ref check bit and put the following:
                fathers surname
                fathers fornames
                mothers maiden name
                mothers forename

then i clicked submit.

yet they are sayiing that i cant have done as it not showing there end. so all they checked was 1st 2 lines - ie name cert is for.

there are 2 families of blands in the area which is why i check as i ordered the wrong cert b4 right 1 for her sister bertha. so not to get caught twice i have filled in all bits for each sibling etc. never mind, it didnt register their end, cant do anything bout it so will stick cert on ebay unless anyone o here is looking for a jessie e bland of 1887.

Comment

oops - sorry didn't read Amy's second posting properly!
                  Elaine

Comment

Durh!

Oh, right, sorry.

OC

Comment

I've just been playing about with the order pages on the GRO website.

If you fill in the parental details immediately under where it says:

"Particulars of the person whose certificate is required"

then when you move to the Reference Checking part of the order the data you already entered will come up in the checking boxes (fair enough)

However, if you then click Submit at the bottom, the next screen, "Basket Summary", shows "No. Ref Checks: 0"

What you need to do is click "Next Reference" under where the parental details have been added....and re-complete the boxes about the GRO reference. Then when you go to the Basket Summary it states "No. Ref Checks: 1" <<<<<so this is the important bit!

I have never ordered anything with ref checks, but what I ALWAYS do is save the image of the Basket Summary Page and keep it until the cert appears in case of queries.

Comment

What you need to do is click "Next Reference" under where the parental details have been added....and re-complete the boxes about the GRO reference. Then when you go to the Basket Summary it states "No. Ref Checks: 1" <<<<<so this is the important bit!
                        ok thanks. think they must have altered site as i've never had to re-fill in the bit as you have said above. never mind.

Comment

Working...
                        X