Parker muddle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parker muddle

This is one of those tangles that just gets more and more confusing the more I look at it.
    1871 Lancashire Newton with Scales (or is it Seales?)
    Nancy Hornby Head Wid 47 Farmer 90 Acres Lancs Sowerby
    Thos. Hornby Son Unm 17 Horseman Lancs Newton
    (loads of other children)
    John Parker cousin Wid 47 Ag Lab Lancs Sowerby

In 1861 and 1851 John Parker is married to a Molly / Mary Rawlinson. John's mother was a Nancy born about 1792 at Sowerby, and I'm thinking she is probably Nanny Rawlinson who was baptised 12th May 1793 at St Michael on Wyre, parents Thomas and Margaret, and that there is probably a family connection with Molly Rawlinson. (John Parker's father was another John Parker).

I was hoping that this Nancy Hornby would help me to prove that Nancy (John Parker's mother) was Nanny Rawlinson (I can't find the John Parker / Nancy Rawlinson marriage; their first child I know of was yet another Nancy, born about 1813.) But on the 1851 Nancy Hornby's husband is William Hornby, and the most likely marriage for them is William Hornby / Nancy Germain 1850 Preston, and then there is a Nancy Germain on the 1841 with a Thomas and Agnes who look likely to be her parents - Thomas Germain married Agnes Whiteside. But how does John Parker get to be this Nancy's cousin? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Hoping a fresh look at it can help sort out the muddle while I cook the kids' dinner...
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

I did go so far as to draw a tree on a bit of paper, but the branches are staying pruned from the plant at present!

"Cousin" could mean anything though......maybe it should say "distant relative"??

Comment

Agnes Whiteside's parents are probably William Whiteside and Nancy Walmsley who married in 1800 in Preston. (Agnes was bap 1802 or 3, sorry I forget!)

Comment

1851 census has Thomas Germain b abt 1794 in Cartmel, Lancs. I can't see him on the IGI.

Comment

HI Kate and Merry

Just curious I found a John Parker right age group in the 1881 census stating that he is Father in law so I opened up the image and found this

John Croft 36 bn Preston
          Ann Croft 36 bn Sowerby
          John Parker 55 bn Sowerby Father in law.

John and Ann married in 1876 Preston.

But I can't see John in the earlier census to confirm who Ann's mother was to see if it tallied with the info that Kate found

Sorry if this throws a spanner in the works
          WendyP

Comment

Yes, that is the same John Parker jr and Ann is his daughter by Molly. Sorry, I've not got any time to look at the rest just now but will catch up later. Maybe John Parker sr's wife isn't Nancy Rawlinson at all, then? She just seemed to fit so perfectly. I'll have to see if Agnes Whiteside had a sister called Nancy - or, yes, it could be that the cousin relationship is more distant than first cousins.
            KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
              1851 census has Thomas Germain b abt 1794 in Cartmel, Lancs. I can't see him on the IGI.
              Cartmel isn't on the IGI at all. The nearest you'll get is microfiche from the Lancs. Parish Record Society of a transcription done about 1903. Parish Chest shows the dates covered - they peter out in the mid to late 1700's.

I have the fiche but no reader.
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I'm sure the connection must be with Agnes Whiteside's family rather than Thomas Germain, anyway. Agnes's sisters all seem to have the same names as the Rawlinsons, but her sister Nancy is much too young to be John Parker senior's wife. There must be a connection somewhere, but I may have to keep going backwards and sideways to find it! There I was thinking it was going to be really simple!
                KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
                X