Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pair of eyes please 1841 census

I cannot read the occupation for

Joseph PYATT 1812 living St Mary newington Surrey.

Any one care to hazard a guess please???

Thankyou

Hi Linda

Looks like Independant to me. (Independant means?)

I'm sure those with better eyes will be along in a mo.

Jo
    :D Charney Jo

Comment

Ah, sorry. Reading the wrong one!

Back to look .....

Comment

I agree - it does look like 'Independant' to me as well.

Chris

Comment

The person above him is a brush maker, and the one underneath his is independant, but l cannot make out what he is lol
          Pam

Comment

Hi Chris

Maybe you did what I did at first - looked at the wrong Pyatt.

I think Joseph's occupation starts with a 'V' - although it looks like a letter someone's surname starts with a few lines down and that has been transcribed as a 'P'. It also looks like it ends in 'ber'.

I know it's too long, and doesn't actually contain any of those letters (!), but it couldn't be 'Visitor' could it? I guess that that is not an occupation so not.

Hoping some of the lovely people who have helped me come along soon ...

Comment

Originally posted by Charney Jo View Post
              Hi Chris

Maybe you did what I did at first - looked at the wrong Pyatt.

I think Joseph's occupation starts with a 'V' - although it looks like a letter someone's surname starts with a few lines down and that has been transcribed as a 'P'. It also looks like it ends in 'ber'.

I know it's too long, and doesn't actually contain any of those letters (!), but it couldn't be 'Visitor' could it? I guess that that is not an occupation so not.

Hoping some of the lovely people who have helped me come along soon ...
              Gawd - silly me! Will have another peek..........

Chris

Comment

Definitely Independent. That may mean he has money that he is living on but I have found examples where it meant they were receiving money from the parish - and not employed. What work did he do?

Doh, I was looking at William too. Joseph - erm Finisher?
                Its quite a middle class area by the looks of it - biscuit baker, book maker, a reporter! and short hand writer!! - so Im not sure what his job is. Looks like it ends 'ber' or 'her' but whats the first letter? A Q? F? P?
                Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 17-03-08, 21:41.

Comment

Makes me feel less silly! Sorry Linda, we are not helping you much, are we :D?

Comment

Its Joseph Pyatt, she is asking about. lol
                    Pam

Comment

Plumber, perhaps?

Chris

Comment

Thankyou for looking it's a tough one!! sorry about that.
                        The chap who is a Brushmaker is my 4x Gt Grandfather who I had lost! so revisited and at last found him with William his brother and family. Didn't expect him to be so far from home. His wife and children are down here on the Devon border. I am now intrigued about how William is Independant along with two of the Girls.
                        Last edited by perranmaid; 17-03-08, 21:40.

Comment

Does Joseph appear on the 1851?

Comment

Wouldn't you just know, I can only find my George he's back home and Alexander in Camberwell on the 1851 at the moment.

Comment

I think it says Plumber.

Comment

Thankyou all,

now that two people have said it I also think I can see it. Plumbers in 1841?? have to go and have a look at history now to see how much call there would have been.

Comment

Linda,

Would this happen to be him on the 1851. I think this has been mistranscribed as Joseph Dyatt. Aged 39. HO107. Piece 1567, Folio 231, Page 15.

Any good?

Chris

Comment

Thankyou Chris that's them the bulk of the family. Can see why they are mistranscribed though. looks like Joseph is a painter. and I think??? William is a pawnbroker this is borne out by something I found earlier when having a quick scan for plumbing history, and found William gets several mentions as a witness at the Old Bailey during this period.

Comment

I reckon the enumarator was a doctor!!!! the writing on the 1851 is worse than the 41 I have tried all ways to read where Williams wife was born and also the last entry for the household. A female age 9 ?????? Lawton First name transcribed by ancestry as Natt.
                                      relationship daughter but the actual writing looks different to the way daugh is written could it be Grd daughter??

Comment

I think the granddaughter is Ruth Lawson.
                                        And William's 2nd name is Benjamin, not Rayman...and Amma is Annie!
                                        Good grief was the transcriber in need of new glasses? LOL!!

Comment

Working...
                                        X