Is Nathaniel Ralph??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Nathaniel Ralph??

Please bear with me as this might be a bit rambly but the crux of my post is:

Are Nathaniel and Ralph one in the same person or are they different people albeit still brothers?

This is what I know for certain:

Ralph was killed in action on 25 Sept 1915 as confirmed by his medal record card - there are no other initials listed. (On the CWGC site there is scant extra info on him but his brother Richard Barrington Pigott who was killed on 21 Dec 1916 has his parents names listed etc)

I know there was a boy called Ralph in the family as Pouncey's daughters were told about their uncles being killed in WW1 - but are slightly unclear on Nathaniel.

Nathaniel M Pigott is with his parents and some of his siblings on the 1901 census RG13 Piece 800, Folio 52 p16 BUT two of his siblings are listed by their second names Maud is in fact Cecilia and Lancelot is Pouncey (yes really ). I can't see that the initial after Nathaniel's name is anything but an M....and given his age either 1888 or 1889 could be his year of birth.

Their parents are Charles Richard Pigott and Jessie M Pigott

There are 2, or 3 if Ralph is a separate person, siblings missing from the 1901 census: eldest brother Shreeve John Pelling Pigott b1883, Mary Phyre b1886, and Ralph and I can't find them either.

Now conjecture

Nathaniel is down as being born in Bega NSW but when looked for previously no sign of him but the other Australian children are there/findable. A KS in Oz did the look up for me - and there was no Ralph either.

Ralph may or may not have been born in India in 1888. His elder sister Mary Phyre Pigott was born in Bengal on 22 Nov 1886 but I can't find Ralph's birth.

If anybody can nail Ralph or Nathaniel's birth down that would be really helpful. Both names are 'family' names.

I've definitely gone greyer due to this pair/person! Back later this evening.
    Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

Did you know there is a tree on Ancestry World Tree - not sure if it helps you.
    Nathaniel and Ralph listed as separate people.

Do a search for Nathaniel Piggott b1889 and it should show up.

- unless of course it is your tree!
    Elaine

Comment

I innocently opened this thread and then discovered it's about those blinkey Pigotts...............

*goes for a lie down*

Comment

The NSW BMD site (NSW Registry of Births Deaths & Marriages) has only shown up Augusta C PIGOTT (in 1891), and Lancelot P PIGGOTT in 1896 - with parents explicitly "Charles" and "Jessie".

I'm not sure how complete it is.

Is there anything to be found in the passenger manifests?

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

However, I see that if you drop the mother's name you get Cecilia M PIGGOTT, because the mother is named as "Jane M".

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Merry - Sorry I'll put a health warning on in future. :o Although this set is beginning to defeat me!

Elaine - No not my tree (haven't worked out how to put one on Ancestry :o) but I'm obviously doing something wrong as I'm getting somebody born in 1826and nobody who appears to fit my criteria - same with Ralph.

Chris - thanks for the NSW site - Charles was a remittance man and probably best described as the black sheep of the family so spelling his surname differently was small beer.

Is there a free website for looking up births in India?
            Bo

Comment

Oops - it was Nathaniel PIGOTT (only one G)

does this link work
              Ancestry World Tree Project: Phillips
              Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine - the link worked fine but it is my 'cousin's' tree and he knows no more than I do - probably because he has borrowed a fair bit from me!
                Bo

Comment

Working...
                X