Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any ideas on Chester Mews Regents park ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any ideas on Chester Mews Regents park ??

My Great Great Grandfather worked as a Domestic Coachman I have found him in the 1861 census records living in 37 Chester Mews Regents park St Pancras where his daughter Emily was born in 1857 and is registered as born at the above address
    A lady whos relation worked at 57 Chester Mews is going to London on Wednesday and has kindly offered to take a photo for me if the place still exists, she rang the local council who say they have no records of such a place ???
    Any ideas please
    Have been googling without success

.. there's a Chester Mews in Belgravia (VERY posh lol) that comes up if you google Chester Mews, London
    Sue

Comment

Have you had a look for the other streets that are on the same census return - see what comes before and after Chester Mews and see if you can find them on a map.
      Elaine

Comment

On the corner of Chester road and Albany St NW1

Booth Poverty Map & Modern map (Charles Booth Online Archive)

always worth checking out Charles Booth for name changes

Picture on Wikipedia

Chester Terrace - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

thanks so much all of you Sue he was a private Coachman to a Doctor at the time so I suppose it would have been fairly posh
          Elaine thanks never thought of that
          Peppie thanks will take a look

Comment

Hi Val - is this any help? - there seems to have been more than one Chester Mews in 1891!

A Complete Listing of the Streets of London in 1891
            Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Hi Joan thanks for that wish they would not keep changing street names lol

Comment

Val

Have you tried googling the address?

I googled the address where my great granfather was a butler in 1874 and it is now the Embassy of the Arab Republic.

Ooops just reread your first post and I see you have googled

Comment

yes Margaret I might have just found it was Chester Terrace and not Chester mews, although I would have thought they would know their own address ????????????

Comment

Thing is Val, the "mews" were round the back of the posh house and used by the horses underneath and the coachman on the top so it may not have been a street as such then.

Comment

Hi Heather thanks for your reply ,yes I did realise that was mainly the case but I would have thought it would be mentioned somewhere as a Mews, seeing as they registered the daughter being born there

Comment

Chester Mews was probably at the back of Chester Terrace, and may not have been recorded on a map as such. There were - and still are - doctors around the Regents Park area and just to the south west (Wimpole St etc).

Years ago I worked at Park Crescent, just south of Regents Park and always used the Mews entrance as it was almost opposite the tube station.

It is marked as Park Crescent Mews on my A-Z and looking north I see Chester Terrace has a Chester Court North and Chester Court South behind it - maybe they were originally Chester Mews?
                        ~ with love from Little Nell~
                        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

As for the address on the birth cert - it ain't necessarily so. People just gave information as they thought fit, it wasn't checked by anybody.

My gt grandparents lived for many years at 13 Hornsey Road which is what appears on most of the family certs, but their son Henry was born at Ingram Terrace, though he died 5 weeks later at 13 Hornsey Road. I found that a few houses including no. 13 Hornsey Road were listed in Kelly's Directory under Hornsey Road but with Ingram Terrace recorded alongside. Clearly it just referred to a block of houses, and Ingram Terrace doesn't appear anywhere on maps or other street lists.
                          ~ with love from Little Nell~
                          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

thanks Nell that makes perfect sense that it could have been at the back of ChesterTerrace

Comment

Even in our little town here there is a row of houses still on what is known as Fairland Street and at the back of each of them is a mews where the horses would have been houses with a loft over for the living quarters. I wouldnt think they had a separate road name, just Fairland Mews because thats what they were, if you see what I mean

Comment

Working...
                              X