Another Unknown Family Photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Unknown Family Photo

One of my cousins was helping to clear our aunt's home a few years ago and sent me this wedding photo thinking I might know who the family are. I've no idea who they are or when and where the photo was taken. So, just in case anyone recognises the family I thought I'd post here.
    Daphne

Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Hi Daphne, my Mum & Dad were married in Nov 1931 & their bridesmaids wore broadbrimmed hats like those & the brides headress looks similar to Mums.
    I'll scan in my pic & put it on for you to see.
    Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

Here we go
      Marriage of Selina Louise Philpot to George Edward Barker
      24th Nov 1931
      Last edited by Pippa Doll; 12-11-08, 21:46.

Comment

Wow, love the bridesmaids outfits in both pictures. The little ones in the first picture are supposed to be sheperdesses I think..

Comment

Thanks Vivienne, What a lovely photo to have. I've none of my parents wedding day. Apparently the weather was so bad with snow the photographer couldn't get through.

I thought the photo was around that era but I wasn't sure. Seems a shame there was no indication of who the family are doesn't it.

Barbara I'd never thought of that. Odd to think if those children are still alive they must be in their late 70's or 80's now.
          Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

I would put it later than 1931, simply going on the length of the coat of the lady on the extreme left, and the skirt of the lady at the right, more 40s and 50s than 1930s.

OC

Comment

The thing is O.C. I can't see anyone in the 40s or early 50s being able to get the material for those bridesmaids outfits, and the out fits are so 30s......I'd best keep checking...:o

Comment

They don't look like 50s to me & there is far too much fabric to be the 40s.

Comment

I still think the length of the ladies' coat on the left is 40s/50s and the style is New Look.

As for the amount of fabric...lots of people had fabric stashed away, or had contacts in the US etc.

I would agree that it is not a wartime wedding as I would expect the men to be in uniform.

At the very earliest, I would say late 1930s.

OC

Comment

Thanks for all your input on this. I did think 30's but have to agree the style of some of the ladies outfits is 50's now it's been mentioned. I suppose the only way to be certain is for someone to know who the family are. I think they could be from my aunt's in-law side and they were from Newcastle-Upon-Tyne.
                    Daphne

Comment

Right! I have been really looking and........though the little bridesmaids still look very 1930s.........having looked at the guests clothes and the adult bridesmaids hats I am going to put my money where my mouth is and say 1948.......there, done it.!

Comment

The older bridesmaids have hats similar to my grandparents wedding 1935, (one of the last ones on favorite wedding thread) but I think the little girls 'Bo peep' outfits remind me of fashions of the late 40s early 50s

Comment

Working...
                        X