Oh, shock, scandal!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh, shock, scandal!

Looking for the outer twigs of my Chowns family, I have discovered a William Chowns who has a different wife on the 1871 census. Couldn't find death of first wife Charlotte or his remarriage to Dinah.

Just found 1861 - he is with his "wife" Dinah and 8 children in a different village - back in the home village Ivinghoe, his legitimate wife Charlotte and their eldest child are living in household next door to his "in-laws". I can see why he didn't commit bigamy - some of his children by his 2nd "wife" were born in home village and his father-in-law was the parish clerk!!!!

I bet there's an interesting story behind this!
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Oh poo! Not a scandal - two blinking Williams with the same blinking children!!!

Comment

Foiled! - just when it was getting interestingly complicated. ;)

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Drat! That had the makings of a good story to unravel! I bet it happened somewhere though. I often wonder if we don't always find things like that because we are not looking, or expecting them.

Anne

Comment

I made the error because the Williams were born within 5 years of eachother and one disappeared on census where other appeared, if you see what I mean. They were born in neighbouring villages (which they sometimes muddled up as birthplaces).

I've got them sorted now and in fact they are uncle and nephew. But the nephew's children - according to familysearch - are all born or baptised on either 27 May 1857 or 1859. So I need to check original parish registers.

Comment

Shame Nell, thought we were in for some scandalous going ons.:D
            Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Me too, instead of which all I can offer are some late baptisms!

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                Me too, instead of which all I can offer are some late baptisms!
                Unless of course the vicar revealed all in the parish register. ("x the father, she says").
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                X