No announcement yet.

What happened to Theatre Royal in 1862?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to Theatre Royal in 1862?

Found a couple of clippings about my 4 x great grandfather and his daughter fundraising to rebuild the Theatre Royal Bath in 1862 - but I can't find out what happened to it so that it needed rebuilding.

Sunday, May 4, 1862
    Theatre Royal
    In compliance with a requisition numerously signed the Mayor has convened a meeting to be held at the Guildhall on Monday to decide on what steps to take in reference to the rebuilding of the theatre. We are glad to find that the public feeling is that the city cannot exist without a theatre and we trust in our next to be in a position to give some information relative to the same - for the worthy lessee, Mr Chute, much anxiety is felt and a Benefit is in contemplation at the Assembly Rooms and which is anxiously looked for by many citizens who are desirous to show their regard for one who has for so many years catered for their amusement and in so doing has made many friends and won the esteem and respect of all; and that friends sufficient will be found to make up the few thousand required we doubt not, and at once rebuild a Theatre which, like it's predecessor shall be second to none in the provinces.
    Miss H Hodson who was so deservedly a favourite this past season contemplates taking a Benefit at the Assembly Rooms on the 17th when she will have, with others, the assistance of her father (Mr George Hodson)

and

Sunday, June 15, 1862
    BATH - New Theatre.
    Upwards of £5000 we understand has been in donations and shares towards this object. The sum originally intended to be raised is £12000 but we have no doubt that when the necesary plans &c are made £8000 or £9000 will be found ample and this amount we hope will be speedily raised. .....
    We perceive an announcement of an entertainment to be given at the Assembly Rooms on the 21st in aid of the above project and which has been got up solely by Mr H King of Millsom Street, The Band of the Theatre give their services.....
    Captain Bayly and other gentlemen Amateurs play a farce in which they will be assisted by Miss Hodson (of the late theatre) and Mr George Hodson will also give his Entertainment "Pat's Curiosity Shop". A crowded house will certainly be the result.

both excerpts from British Library Newspapers Collection.
    transcripts all my own work.
    Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

1862 destroyed by fire!
    Theatre Royal Bath: History
    Elaine

Comment

why didn't I get that when I googled then?
      Zoe in London

Comment

I was going to guess it burned down, which was a common occurrence with theatres.

I had a backstage tour of the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden today. It burned down twice, once because of a discarded cigar butt, and it took just 40 minutes to destroy the theatre. There were lots of flammable materials in theatres, no safety curtain and often candles and other sources of sparks.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
          I had a backstage tour of the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden today. It burned down twice, once because of a discarded cigar butt, and it took just 40 minutes to destroy the theatre. There were lots of flammable materials in theatres, no safety curtain and often candles and other sources of sparks.
          Twice in one day???! lolol :D

Comment

oooh - they do backstage tours at bath too

I may have finally figured out where to go to on my weeks holiday at the month.
            Unfortunately the show on at that times if the Priates of Penzance.
            A few weeks later they have Pygmalion, which also has a family connection so that would have been cool.

I might try and combine it with a couple of days in Bristol as I think the University there has a theatre collection
            Zoe in London

Comment

Can I ask why the threads about this resource were pulled? Did they contravene the site policy somehow?

Comment

Mary,

We're not sure how kosher the link is at appears to be taking people through a backdoor via a University in the US.

Until we can be certain we've decided it's best that the site doesn't advertise something that might not be allowed.
                Zoe in London

Comment

Merry!

No, of course not. But it does show how vulnerable buildings were to fire.
                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                    Merry!

No, of course not.

Awww........and there I was imagining you there with your bucket today!

Comment

Thanks Zoe, I realised after I asked that it must be something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by samesizedfeet View Post

We're not sure how kosher the link is at appears to be taking people through a backdoor via a University in the US.

Until we can be certain we've decided it's best that the site doesn't advertise something that might not be allowed.
                        Looks like you were right, Zoe - access seems to have been withdrawn now.
                        What a pity - it was a brilliant resource.

I would be quite prepared to pay for the articles on that site on a pay-per-view basis, but I don't think it's open to the public, is it?

Comment

aaaaaaaargh

has it really??

I was only 660 articles into my 1000+ hits
                          Zoe in London

Comment

Working...
                          X