Married by Superintendent Registrar's Certificate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Married by Superintendent Registrar's Certificate

The couple I believe may have been one of my sets of grandparents were married by Superintendent Registrar's Certificate

I gather that this is a fairly rare thing, and that no banns would have been called - one reason for doing this I found from Googling was that the Vicar might be concerned that individuals might disrupt the ceremony if they knew about it, and so did not want banns called.

2 questions if anyone has any ideas, please:-

1. If banns were not called, was any notice given anywhere of the forthcoming wedding?

2. Is there any other reason that a marriage might be performed under Superintendent Registrar's Certificate, other than the fear of objectors at the ceremony?

Thanks

PS I think I may have asked part of this before - if so, I apologise, but I have forgotten/lost the answer
    Joan died in July 2020.

The notice of intention to marry would be posted at the register office.

Another reason for marrying by sup registrars cert might be that they had intended to marry in a non conformist church/chapel. My g-g-grandparents were of different denominations and married by sup reg cert in 1849 in the parish church. I douby they were expecting trouble of any sort as neither had living family. Their children were brought up as Methodists, but they may have had a crisis of conscience as all their children were later baptised C of E all on the same day when the eldest was about 12!

Comment

Thanks Merry - presumably the notice of intention to marry would not be open to the public ?

I had been told that prior to the wedding, the Vicar had advised the bride not to go ahead with the wedding - yet he seems to have gone ahead in any event.

From what I know, I don't think religion would have been an issue.

What had been puzzling me was that the ceremony took place in the groom's home town and if there had been any objectors, I am sure they would have come from the Bride's side - although, of course even in 1905 people could travel!
      Last edited by Muggins in Sussex; 15-03-08, 17:43.
      Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Muggins in Sussex View Post
        Thanks Merry - presumably the notice of intention to marry would not be open to the public ?
        Yes, it would.........But probably people would be much less inclined to visit the reg office to look at the notices, then to hear the banns read in the parish church!

Comment

Thanks Merry!

And I can't imagine people would have travelled from Sheffield to Altrincham to look at notices at the local reg office!

Somehow I've always felt that this certificate holds a clue to my major query, about which many of you have heard ad nauseam.

Thanks again - need to get the old thinking cap on again!
          Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Oooh, it's a blinky Rathbone! Tricky sorts, those Rathbones.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Muggins in Sussex View Post
              And I can't imagine people would have travelled from Sheffield to Altrincham to look at notices at the local reg office!

Well you have a second Rathbone as a witness!

Comment

Have got loads of Rathbones, OC - almost all from Cheshire/Sheffield (Yorkshire I think)
                Last edited by Muggins in Sussex; 15-03-08, 17:25.
                Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                  Well you have a second Rathbone as a witness!
                  The other witness, Ruth Annie, was also a Rathbone - so a third!!! (she married a Babington) - there's no hiding from these Rathbones!!
                  Last edited by Muggins in Sussex; 15-03-08, 17:45.
                  Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

from the informative Marriage Certificate Tutorials - bookmark it now!

(7) "By superintendent registrars certificate" is a very rare finding. It is issued for a Church of England marriage but instead of banns being called in the church, notice of marriage has been given to the superintendent registrar. In the early days this would be necessary where services were held so infrequently e.g. in a small chapel,that it was not possible to call the banns on three succesive Sundays and get married all within the three months time limit. Later on it was sometimes used as an expedient if for some reason the vicar did not want to make the forthcoming marriage in the church public knowledge and have the entry in his banns book which anyone can look at. The sort of problem might be where a bride and groom were of different persuasions and the vicar either didn't want the congregtion in general to know or even the bride/grooms family if he thought they might try to disrupt the ceremony. It is sometimes used these days when one of the couple is divorced and the vicar does not want it generally known that he is marrying a divorcee in his church.
                    ~ with love from Little Nell~
                    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks, Nell - it's safely bookmarked now!
                      Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Believe me, you won't regret it. It doesn't answer all the questions raised by bmd certs, but it is informative and has solved a few puzzles for me.
                        ~ with love from Little Nell~
                        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
                        X