• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death Duty Registers--

Again, I am in need of some direction please-----

looking to find if there are wills/probate records for--

*Richard Gadd-b 1788-died June qtr.1872-Titsey, Surrey
    *Richard Symonds Gadd-b-1820--died Dec. Qtr.1893 -Hungerford,Lambourne, Berkshire

I have read the Wiki regarding these things and realize they need to be ordered etc.--however-I am a little dense when it comes to finding some things and need to clarify that -"am I understanding that the only place I can search to see if there is a record of these is on Find My Past-is this correct? - or is there another place to search in able to find the record numbers to use to order ,if indeed I find one.

Thanks a bunch,
    patbee
    Forever will be "digging" for ancestors -

The new Gadd Family Tree--there are 6 highlighted family lines now! We are growing!!

http://gaddfamily.tribalpages.com
    no password required.

The only online place you are likely to find out is indeed findmypast, although it would be worth googling the names and dates just in case, but if you can get to a record office or probate office which has the National Probate Calendar then you can look them up in that.

P.S. Oops, just noticed where you are - not sure if there will be anywhere around there which has it!
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Findmypast just has the death duty registers (`I had a couple of credits left, nothing for your first one 1872/3) I plan a trip to look up wills & probates in London but not until mid April. I'll take a look for you then if nobody else can before.

Comment

Yes, normally I would say I could look them up in the National Probate Calendar at my local record office, but the kids have just started their Easter holidays so it will be a few weeks before I could go there.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
          The only online place you are likely to find out is indeed findmypast, although it would be worth googling the names and dates just in case, but if you can get to a record office or probate office which has the National Probate Calendar then you can look them up in that.

P.S. Oops, just noticed where you are - not sure if there will be anywhere around there which has it!
          thank you kiterunner-- I had tried googling with not much success. I wonder if LDS has these records? I need to check that out as well.
          I appreciate your suggestions.
          patbee

The new Gadd Family Tree--there are 6 highlighted family lines now! We are growing!!

no password required.

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
            Findmypast just has the death duty registers (`I had a couple of credits left, nothing for your first one 1872/3) I plan a trip to look up wills & probates in London but not until mid April. I'll take a look for you then if nobody else can before.
            thank you Jill for checking FMP and your offer-- I will definitely keep this in mind and if I have not found what I am looking for ,I will be asking for some of your valuable time .

:DThis has been the most helpful group I have come across! You all need to be commended!

no password required.

Comment

I had a look from 1893 to 1903, but although there are some GADDs, none seems to be called Richard.

Christine

PS - I don't consider myself infallible, so someone else might see what I failed to see.
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I've found a Richard GADD - but it's in 1887, Mountsorrel, Leics: not exactly close to Surrey!

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Had a look from 1872-1893, and that's the only Richard GADD that I could spot.

I did notice that there are a number of GADDs with WOOLSTONECROFT (or variant) as a given name. - Might be relevant for someone.

Christine

Comment

Thanks Christine for your time and help, I appreciate it . I am going to purchase some credits at Find My Past and do some searching. Thanks again
                    Patbee

no password required.

Comment

Working...
                    X