How true are their ages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How true are their ages

What are peoples opinions on accepting the age of someone on a census. I have been searching 1850/49 for my gr grandfather. Someon has found the correct name in 1847. Has he lied about his age as I and no one else can find him in 1849/50
    Ann

Have found found him on different census returns - how do the ages vary?
    Do you have a marriage certificate for him - if so does the age on that help?

Do you want to give us the name so we can have a look?
    Elaine

Comment

Some people seem to have consistently lied about their ages. My gg grandmother always gave her birth as 1842 Canterbury on the census, but there is no birth registration to back it up, although I have found a possible born c1836 on the 1841 census. Sadly it will be hard to prove.
      Lynn

Comment

I've just posted a detailed reply on the 1861/1871 thread about my g-g-mother, who inconsistently lied about her age throughout her life! The main purpose was to make her marriage a bit more respectably, I should think, as she was 33, and her husband not quite 21 on the day.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

If you're working from censuses where he was an adult then it is very likely that the age given is inaccurate, but if you have him on the 1851 census and it says he is 1 year old then it is unlikely that he was really 3 or 4. Of course, if you are working from a transcription of the census entry then you should check the image to see if the age has been transcribed correctly - I can imagine a 4 being mistaken for a 1 with a line through it, for instance. If you give us more details of what censuses you have him on then it may be easier for us to help sort it out.
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Ages

His name is Richard Wynn. On his marriage certificate he says he is 30 in 1880. He is on census from 1870 when he was in the army and other census forward from there, but not before. He is not the Richard born in Court Llewellyn buildings as he died 2 months later. Someone found a Richard Wynne born in 1847 in Liverpool, right name and place but not the year.
            He married Charlotte in 1880 so I am fine from 1870 but not before that. On his marriage certificate he says his father was John Wynne shoemaker,deceased.
            Ann

Comment

Where did the marriage take place? and where either of the witnesses called Wynne?
              Vikki -
              Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

I don'[t think it was that they deliberately LIED, although some did. People often didn't know exactly how old they were - no birthday bashes in those days!

Also a lot depended on who answered the door to the enumerator. I find lodgers and boarders very often have their ages out by as much as ten years - the landlady didnt have a clue how old they were and just guessed.

If a child answered the door, then that would often be a guess too, for parents ages and birthplaces.

I do have one who deliberately lied - knocked 9 years off her age for marriage and kept up the deception till her hubby died, then miraculously remembered how old she really was from then on till she died.

OC

Comment

I have found this family in 1871

John Wynne (Head) age 68 Shoemaker born Barton Cheshire
                  Sarah Wynne (Wife) age 54
                  Mary Wynne (Dau) age 23
                  Thomas Wynne (Son) age 22 Shoe Maker

RG10; Piece: 3718; Folio: 12; Page: 18

Living in Barton Cheshire, it is possible that Richard was in the army so would not be on this census, I will see if I can track them back a bit
                  Vikki -

Comment

Found them again in 1861 & 1851 with another daughter Eleanor, no sign of Richard though.

Maybe a red herring......bare with me

Ok, John Wynne b.1803 died in 1874 in Cheshire

So we have a John Wynne Shoemaker deceased before 1880, not very compelling at the moment is it?
                    Last edited by vikki brace; 15-03-08, 13:43.
                    Vikki -

Comment

The same family Vikki in 1851 - living in Cheshire - but no Richard mentioned

HO107; Piece: 2171; Folio: 94; Page: 3
                      Elaine

Comment

I've found a Richard Wyne age 2 m born Liverpool on the 1851 and his father is John, but John is a labourer. John age 39 born Ireland, wife Catherine age 34 born Cheshire Tilston.
                        KiteRunner

Comment

His marriage was in Woolwich as he was in the Barracks there. No witnesses called Wynn or Wynne. I have seen both variants of the name

Comment

Long shot from the IGI

can we findthis one?

RICHARD WYNN Pedigree
                            Male

Birth:
                            Christening: 14 JAN 1849 Saint Marys, Portsea, Hampshire, England
                            Parents:
                            Father: JOHN WYNN Family
                            Mother: SARAH
                            Jess

Comment

The John born Ireland doesn't have a Richard with him in 1861 so maybe that one is the Richard that you mentioned who died young?
                              KiteRunner

Comment

Just a thought but if he joined the army around 1870ish you might find his sign up papers will give you some information, I think they are held at Kew but I am happy to be corrected on that.

I asume that on the 81,91 & 01 census he is consistant with his age and place of birth
                                Vikki -

Comment

Vikki. he is consistent on all of the census.
                                  In 1901 he ends up in a soup kitchen.No family with him but still saying the same
                                  Ann

Comment

Perhaps his name wasn't Richard when he was young? Maybe Richard was a middle name or he changed it when he went into the army?

Anne

Comment

There's a Richard WYNN registered 1851 in Wrexham (Malpas).

It shows up on both Cheshire & N Wales BMD (UKBMD - Births, Marriages, Deaths Indexes & Census transcriptions for the UK, On-Line).

Christine
                                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                                      X