Clear All

• Any ideas on location, please?

Thanks
    Joan died in July 2020.

does it look like this do you think?

the watermans church river severn worcester

maybe not, can't see church in yours!
    Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

what sort of area do you think it is?
      Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

Thanks Jean - In fact I've no idea where I think it might be - my family background is all so shrouded in mystery - I came across this photo when I was rummaging where I probably shouldn't have been rummaging!

Am just looking for any clues!
        Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

I wonder how old the photograph is Pat? It looks a little bit like an old version of Bideford. It's a pity we don't see more of Dawnie, she would know if it was.
          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Hi Chrissie - I think the lady in the photo is Marguerite Rathbone, born 1895 - if that is any clue as to date.

I did wonder whether the photo might have been taken in France or Germany (the Rhone or Rhine?) as it looks such a wide river

Thanks
            Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Could it be somewhere on the Thames? There's plenty of bridges over wide bit of river on there but I'm afraid I don't know it very well.

Anne

Comment

I was wondering the same as Anne, perhaps the upper reaches of the Thames, sometime in the 1950s from the look of the couple.

Comment

Joan
                  When I first saw this photo if reminded me of my childhood summers along the Thames. It reminds me of the Maidenhead or Henley area? Could be wrong but theres just something about it that I've seen before. If anything comes to mind will let you know.
                  Nichola

Comment

List of crossings of the River Thames - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                    Joan try this.........

Comment

I'm wondering if it is a river at all, but somewhere on the Norfolk Broads.
                      Stella passed away December 2014

Comment

himself says is Holmforth, Cos Norah Batty is sitting on the railings.

You can thump him
                        Jess

Comment

Joan - it's definitely Maidenhead, cos I live there :D

The people are on the Bucks side of the river with the Thames Riviera Hotel behind them

Comment

Only just seen this reply

Thanks, Velma.

My guess was way out .....
                            And thanks to everyone else ... I can see the Norah Batty resemblance !!
                            Last edited by Muggins in Sussex; 02-04-08, 21:25.
                            Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

It looked like Aylesbury or Wroxham.
                              ♥Viv in Herts♥

Researching Tucker in London/Australia. Cliff in U.S.A. Fuller, Eaton & Sa(u)nders in Bedfordshire. Turner, Morley, Blythe & Webb in Cambridgeshire/Suffolk. Want in Hertfordshire.

Comment

Pleased to be of help Joan

Just found this on the Frances Firth collection, dated 1955, so around the same time as your photo....

Photo of Maidenhead, River Scene c1955

Comment

Thanks again, Velma - that's definately it!
                                  Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

keith

Hi Muggins, This is I think Hampton Court Bridge as I can see the Thames Hotel and the Jazz club that I went to in the 50s to the right of the hotel. there had been several bridges and this one is not the current bridge. I can also see the outlet of the river Mole to the left of the picture. I am about 70% sure that this is at Hampton court.
                                    Regards Keith from Pagham in West Sussex formerly from West Molesey in Surrey.

Comment

is it the iron bridge in staffordshire ?brenda xxx

Comment

My first thought was Maidenhead. Been there many times and the picture looked familiar if different.

Janet

Comment

Working...
                                        X