Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proving someone born in 1777 was the same person in 1841?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proving someone born in 1777 was the same person in 1841?

I have George Wells born 1777 in Hook Norton, Oxfordshire. I have his baptism.

I have George Wells on the 1841 census Class:
    HO107; Piece 879; Folio: 11; Page: 16

He is age 60 on the census. As the 1841 rounded ages down by 5 years he could be age 64. So, born perhaps 1777.

I have his will, he died 1842. He mentions his daughters Sarah and Elizabeth.
    They are on the 1851 census in the same household HO107; Piece: 1732; Folio: 441; Page: 35

Also on that same census ref is an Elizabeth Wells age 15.

If the George I have the baptism of is the same person I have the will of, then Elizabeth age 15 would have been his grand niece (according to FTM)

How do I prove they are the same person?

How many other George Wells are there that could be your chap?

The death cert would give actual age (though this could be out a bit) and the burial register would give age too.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I had a similar problem and was lucky in that his death cert had his daughter as the person registering the death. Also your George may have died at home and the address recorded on the cert. Only a year after the census, so quite likely he had not moved.

Roger
      Last edited by Roger in Sussex; 15-03-08, 08:36.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
        How many other George Wells are there that could be your chap?

The death cert would give actual age (though this could be out a bit) and the burial register would give age too.
        I'm going to have to go through this very slowly I think and sort everything out.

I am trying to avoid buying the death cert as if I am wrong it is not even connected.

I think I may email Oxfordshire CRO and ask them how much to look up the burial although it may be cheaper to buy the cert

Comment

Originally posted by Roger in Sussex View Post
          I had a similar problem and was lucky in that his death cert had his daughter as the person registering the death. Also your George may have died at home and the address recorded on the cert. Only a year after the census, so quite likely he had not moved.

Roger

Roger

I don't need to find out his children or wife, I know them from his will. It's working out if the George I have found the death for is the same George I have the baptism for.
          Last edited by Margaret in Burton; 15-03-08, 09:20.

Comment

Originally posted by Margaret in Burton View Post
            Roger

I don't need to find out his children or wife, I know them from his will. It's working out if the George I have found the death for is the same George I have the baptism for.
            Sorry, I misunderstood, I thought you were trying to check that the person for whom you have found the death cert. was the same as the one who wrote the will.

Comment

A contact of mine doing the same family has just emailed me that a will he is transcribing for a William Wells of Hook Norton who we know is connected mentions his brother George who was a school master of Chipping Norton.

Looks like we have the right person.

Sorted

Comment

Working...
              X