Ladywell and Brockley cemetary - name searchable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ladywell and Brockley cemetary - name searchable

Only just found this one : produced by NW Kent FHS (south east London in reality)

NWKFHS Ladywell & Brockley Cemetery: Surname Index

Thanks Heather, my Crisps that died in Brockley aren't there, but at least that eliminates 2 cemeteries

Comment

Well, I dare say Jill not all are recorded, some inscriptions would have been illegible and of course there will be many who couldnt afford the headstone.

Comment

Don't forget (if you ever knew) that Forest hill cemetary is very close to Brockley, so if they are not there you may find them in Forest Hill, sadly there is no online index though.

If you google map it.
        Forest hill cemetary is on Forest hill road where it meets wood vale
        Cross over forest hill road into Brenchly Gardens, follow that road and you get to Brockley cemetary.

2 very biggies very close together
        Vikki -
        Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

I hope to find them one day, as they were wealthy enough to have had a memorial.

Comment

Do you want to give me the names? I am often at Forest Hill cemetary as there are a few family graves which I tend to, Next time i'm there i'll have a look round for you, there are quite a few biggies there
            Vikki -

Comment

Thankyou Vikki, they are both named William James Crisp, one died 13 Jan 1888 and the other (his son) on 02 Jan 1894.

Comment

Ok, next time i'm there I will have a good look for them, some of the site is overgrown but 85% is still accessable, and I can discount 4 graves as 3 are mine and one next to one of them is for a lady called Henderson....;)
                Vikki -

Comment

Originally posted by vikki brace View Post
                  Don't forget (if you ever knew) that Forest hill cemetary is very close to Brockley, so if they are not there you may find them in Forest Hill, sadly there is no online index though.

If you google map it.
                  Forest hill cemetary is on Forest hill road where it meets wood vale
                  Cross over forest hill road into Brenchly Gardens, follow that road and you get to Brockley cemetary.

2 very biggies very close together
                  I think you will find that is called Honor Oak Cemetary and is next to Camberwell New Cemetary. Nunhead Cemetary is not far from there, either.

Comment

This is wonderful. I have been looking for an uncle's death for over a year, now at least I know he was buried, with his parents, even though I do not, yet, know when!

Does anyone ever go to Ladywell & Brockley Cemetary? It is a little difficult for me as I live in Queensland, Australia!! Though I do plan a visit before too long, it is becoming a necessity.

Cheers
                    Marion

Comment

Have you found them on the listings Marion?

Comment

Originally posted by BC View Post
                        I think you will find that is called Honor Oak Cemetary and is next to Camberwell New Cemetary. Nunhead Cemetary is not far from there, either.
                        Just googled and we are both wrong :o - its Camberwell old cemetery on Forest hill Road
                        Everyone calls it Honor Oak, because of its location
                        Honor oak Crematorium is in Brenchley Gardens, which is next door to Camberwell New cemetary (I thought that was Brockley - woops)
                        Brockley & Ladywell cemetery is on Brockley Road
                        and for anyone who is interested - Nunhead cemetary is off Linden Grove
                        Vikki -

Comment

Originally posted by Marion Crofts View Post
                          This is wonderful. I have been looking for an uncle's death for over a year, now at least I know he was buried, with his parents, even though I do not, yet, know when!

Does anyone ever go to Ladywell & Brockley Cemetary? It is a little difficult for me as I live in Queensland, Australia!! Though I do plan a visit before too long, it is becoming a necessity.

Cheers
                          Marion
                          Hi Marion

I haven't been there before, but if you can give me the details (did you find them on the site?) I will try and have a look when it warms up, it is a really big cemetery, so the more you can narrow it down the better
                          Vikki -

Comment

Originally posted by Heather Positive Thinker View Post
                            Only just found this one : produced by NW Kent FHS (south east London in reality)

NWKFHS Ladywell & Brockley Cemetery: Surname Index
                            Yep.found this one myself about a week ago while looking for my grandfather who was living in Ladywell road.
                            "As if by magic the shop keeper appeared"

Comment

Thanks for that!

I have found some of OH's family - Newtons and Holditches very conveniently in the same grave! It also provided me with a wife, and with the christian name "Fanny Byles" I very quickly found the marriage.
                              Elizabeth
                              Research Interests:
                              England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                              Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

*Sneaks in*
                                *steals URL*
                                * posts in the wiki*

**Looks innocent, leaves thread whistling **
                                Jess

Comment

Hello again. Yes I have info regarding graves in Ladywell and Brockley Cemetery: George, Margaret and Norman Watts, 2757.

Is that enough? There are other numbers associated with George (987 4043 9777) I presume they relate to other Georges, not mine?

I know nothing about cemetaries, but this is exciting!!

Also in the same area are William and Margaret Batley, 10688. G.grandparents I think.

Thank you very much for offering to look,

Marion

Comment

I was going to ask you to add it anyway Jess, no need to feel guilty

Comment

Thanks Marion, I will see if I can find them. Lets all start praying for warmer weather then I can go and have a look
                                      Vikki -

Comment

Working...
                                      X