Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• second opinion please if you have time

Hi
    I have found my first irish ancester in my tree and I have also lots of different spellings of the surname.The surname spellings so far found are Deickreon, Peickrin, but found more information under the spelling of Pickerins.
    My family on 1841 Census I am certain is my correct family but not sure about the husbands Christian name. Has anyone the time to look for me and of course there are probably a lot of you who are more familliar with irish names than me.
    1841 census, Class, HO107, Piece 751, Book 19, folio 34, page 9. It is transcribed as Semon Pickerine born Ireland living in Newport Wales, also note the different spellings for the same family I am going to have fun with this one. I also note Catherine was born in Scotland and was always led to believe she was born in Ireland.
    Last edited by Gwen@coggiecorner; 14-03-08, 09:55.
    GWEN

Well its definately not Semon - there is a dot for an i.:( The logical name would be Simon. The writer does seem to habitually move the i dots along a bit.

I don't think Catherine is born in Scotland. I think the mark under the I is a ditto mark. See what others think.

By the way it would be helpful to have the page. there are a lot of Jones before you get to the Ps. Glad I'm not looking for Mary Jones!!! Folio 4 page 9.

Anne

Comment

thanks I think it might be was simon and it looks like to me Catherine was born in Ireland. I am just puzzled by the different spellings for the surname?
      GWEN

Comment

Don't forget he would probably have had a strong accent and may not even have been sure (or even bovvered) about how to spell it himself.

Anne

Comment

Have you found them on any later censuses?

Just to cheer you up I have some Irish ancestors on the 1841 census. By the look of the children's birth places they came to Yorkshire in about 1837. This was before the 'famine' and also before any sort of civil registration. I have given up on them, having no idea at all where in Ireland they came from :(

Anne

Comment

Yes I have found them on later census, Catherine is a widow and they are living in wales. On one of the census she claims she was born in Co Cork but I do not know her maiden name. I think I am going to have to give up and accept that Catherine and Simon? is the last names I will be able to record in this family.
            GWEN

Comment

Gwen (and Anne) I sympathise. Husband's gt gt grandfather was Dennis McCarthy, but he changed his name to James Carter. He says he was born Holborn abt 1830 but I can't find him, nor the man named on his marriage cert as Callaghan McCarthy and have no idea where in Ireland they originated or when.

Even more aggravating, Dennis/James' wife Elizabeth Goodwin also doesn't seem to exist before her marriage.
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I struck lucky with OH's GGF, Irish living in Liverpool but I followed his navy connection and found him in the British Royal Navy with his place of birth and a list of his tattoos.

Comment

Working...
                X