If someone died outside UK???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If someone died outside UK???

I've found the death of my elusive David Kirkby Ariel (brother of the even more elusive Agatha).

Sept 8th 1838 at Barbados, of yellow fever. Age 20.

Would there be any record in UK?

Jamaican Family Search Genealogy Research Library

This site might help, I cant understand why there would be any records in the UK, Not unless he left a will here, I think you need to explain more about why he was over there, was he working there ? ect.

Comment

Ah now - I had someone die in Barbados, picked up from the IGI.

I didn't bother getting a death cert as it was just a side branch, but I did find his name commemorated on the family grave in England, and two of his children.

OC

Comment

Sorry Pat,

Getting carried away after finding him.

I'd say he was working as his father was a West and East Indian trader.

He may have just been on a trip to buy sugar and spirits as they traded in those.

Comment

Assuming he was a British subject, you may find him in the Consular deaths abroad, on findmypast or familyrelatives. However, I don't think the indexes are complete.

Comment

It looks as though the burial records for that period still survive:

Caribbean Genealogy - Country Resources
            Caribbean Genealogy - Resources - Barbados Parochial Registers

Comment

This may not have anything to do with your people, but it might be worth checking in view of the unusual name (although Ariel is presumably the given name):

Description
              Name: Taylor, Ariel
              Official Number: 101516
              Place of Birth: Bridge Town, Barbadoes

Date 09 March 1858
              Catalogue reference ADM 188/118
              Dept Records of the Admiralty, Naval Forces, Royal Marines, Coastguard, and related bodies
              Series Admiralty: Royal Navy Registers of Seamen's Services

The National Archives of the United Kingdom

Comment

Thanks Mary..

Have emailed the records office.

The will looks interesting. Ariel is the first name, but I think I'll get it anyway as I have an Elizabeth Ariel who married a Joshua Taylor. You never know.

Comment

I don't think it's a will, as it says "Royal Navy Registers of Seamen's Services". I've never had one of those before, but I assume it's a service record.

Comment

You're right. Might be just as interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                      I don't think it's a will, as it says "Royal Navy Registers of Seamen's Services". I've never had one of those before, but I assume it's a service record.
                      I've bought several of those. They almost always give
                      • a description (useful to the Powers that Be for tracking down any "runners"),
                      • an alleged DoB and PoB (in both cases I have found inaccuracies),
                      • a list of the different ships in which the man served, with dates -
                      • and a comment on the quality of that service
                      • sometimes info about a pension

Christine
                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

These sites may supply complementary info - descriptions of those ships, for instance:

William Loney RN - Background
                        NAVAL-HISTORY.NET

Christine
                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                        X