Did you know?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did you know?

Most picture files automatically download as jpg files.
    I don't know about you but I find these difficult to navigate around, especially things like census records.
    I just discovered that by right clicking on them you get a ''convert to pdf''
    option. This is a much more versatile format I find.
    But of course you knowledgeable lot knew that already!
    Janexx
    Mods: You are most welcome to move this to the computer help section, I just wanted to flag it here in case someone who didn't already know missed it!
    To boldly go where no genealogist has gone before....

I always convert pdf files to jpgs!! lolol

Comment

I scour the internet looking for interesting backgrounds & images for using in my cardmaking. I much prefer jpgs as I can preview them much more easily (eg as thumbnails), rather than have to open the document to see it.

(I know you can preview the newer pdfs but an awful lot of what I find has been saved in the older format)
      Vicky

Comment

If you convert a census record to .pdf you can't crop the black edges off!!!!

I always crop mine so as not to waste so much ink.
        Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

I use photoshop to crop the edges - and then I drop white into the remaining boundary. If it isn't too speckled, then that can work very well, too. You can usually still discern that actual page-edges.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I prefer jpg but I expect your tip will be of use to others.
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Maybe it's just my stupid computer, if I magnify the image enough to see it, it takes for ages to move up and down with the little arrows at the sides!

Comment

Oh you lot are so clever ! I sort of know what you are talking about..so that's a vast improvement for me..but i wish i could learn faster and do some of this stuff....lol

Comment

Jane - I received my first US census yesterday and it's so big that I was going to experiment with your tip above. However, I don't get an option to convert to pdf when I right click. At what stage are you converting - after it is first saved to your docs or before?
                  Gillian
                  User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Hi Gillian,
                    Yes I saved it to my computer then opened the jpg file, and right clicked on that. Hope it works for you.
                    Janexxx

Comment

Thanks Jane.
                      Unfortunately, I don't seem to be offered that option, and anything conversion-related requiring more than a right click is probably beyond me lol
                      Gillian

Comment

Me too, Gillian! If you want, you can send me the image and i'll do it for you. I'll PM you my e mail addy!

Comment

Thanks so much for the offer Jane!

One is on its way to you - hopefully. My Yahoo has been playing up for a few days.
                          Gillian

Comment

My pdf option seems to cut in at the printing stage... I can print anything to pdf instead of on paper.

Christine
                            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

How long have .pdf files been uploadable up to 1.91 MB? I hadn't noticed, until I checked after reading this thread - it will save me a lot of hassle with the church photo project!

Comment

Roger, do you mean you will upload pdf files using the paperclip for the church photos project?

Unless something has changed, I think Julie (Darksecretz) can only accept photos hosted on photobucket. (I know this because I usually use the paperclip, but had to learn to use photobucket [oh how slow it is! lol] in order to load some church pics)

Comment

If you have a .Mac site, you can make a Gallery album, and she can grab them from there. I know, because that's how I've been doing it, and several of mine are now in the Wiki.

I expect there's an equivalent for anyone with a web page (often a - limited - freebee with online access).

Christine

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                                    Roger, do you mean you will upload pdf files using the paperclip for the church photos project?

Unless something has changed, I think Julie (Darksecretz) can only accept photos hosted on photobucket. (I know this because I usually use the paperclip, but had to learn to use photobucket [oh how slow it is! lol] in order to load some church pics)
                                    I didn't know about this, and have had several photos accepted via the paperclip method and they have duly been displayed in the wiki, and nobody has said anything. To tell you the truth, I don't know how to use the photobucket. Perhaps I had better learn?

Comment

Originally posted by Roger in Sussex View Post
                                      I didn't know about this, and have had several photos accepted via the paperclip method and they have duly been displayed in the wiki, and nobody has said anything. To tell you the truth, I don't know how to use the photobucket. Perhaps I had better learn?
                                      lol!! I would just keep quiet and carry on the way you want to!

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                                        lol!! I would just keep quiet and carry on the way you want to!
                                        Just done some experiments and discovered I can't convert big coloured .jpg files to .pdf anyway, only little black and white ones and text. :(

Comment

Working...
                                        X