Can anyone read this occupation please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone read this occupation please

It's the one for Samuel James: bill or bell something???
    Thanks.

[IMG][/IMG]

bell hanger?

Comment

I don't know, magnified it looks (literally) like Herrager, and the writing isn't that bad! lol

I would quite like the first word to be bell, as I am desperately searching for Samuel James, brazier. Brazier ........ brass .......... bell.........???

I am grasping at straws I know, it's all I have left, lolol

Comment

He's a smith and bell hanger on the next census

Comment

OOOOH NICE ONE!!! Thank you Merry! (I thought he was dead by then! Now I'm killing off my ancestors before their time!)

That's pretty close to brazier, don't you think???

Comment

Well, maybe?! Erm......on what is he a brazier?

Comment

1861: Smith and gas fitter

RG9; Piece: 295; Folio: 110; Page: 18

(1851: HO107; Piece: 1553; Folio: 86; Page: 1)

Comment

Samuel is a gas fitter in 1871 and Caroline is a gas fitter after his death in 1881. (he died 1880 and she died 1889)

Comment

Brazier definition is "someone who works with brass".

Bells are made of brass (normally) and so are gas fiittings. Or they are now, I suppose they were then. I think .......!!!

But as I feel like I've looked up the occupation of every Samuel James in the entire country and this is the only one that comes close to Brazier, plus he is in the right place-ish (give or take 100 miles!), he and his lot will be ceremoniously added to my Possible, Probables and Not Entirely Sure's tree.

PS OH reckons gas fittings are made of copper not brass. Trust him ...!

Comment

What info do you have about him being a brazier?

Comment

Strangely bell hanger and gas fitter often seem to go together. I have noticed it on several occasions (having an interest in bells! )

Anne

Comment

On son Benjamin's marriage cert.

This is the same son who is born in Oxfordshire on one census, Middlesex on the next and nowhere on the third .... which is maybe why Samuel and Caroline are born out of county from Middlesex in 1841, but born in Middlesex on the other censuses!! Clearly this family have either bad memories or a problem with geography.

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                          Strangely bell hanger and gas fitter often seem to go together. I have noticed it on several occasions (having an interest in bells! )

Anne
                          And bells ARE made of brass, aren't they Anne????

Comment

When was Benjamin born?

Comment

C 1821-1824 in either Churchill, Oxfordshire, or Hampton, Middlesex.

Comment

Which census does he say Churchill on???!! (I can't find it! lol)

Comment

Ah, found it!

Comment

Originally posted by bev&kev View Post
                                    And bells ARE made of brass, aren't they Anne????
                                    From pedants' corner: bells are normally made of bronze. And gas fittings could be brass or bronze or copper. A brazier brazes (a form of higher-temperature soldering) which could aply to any of these metals.
                                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Also from pedant's corner, but from a higher stool than UJ's:

Bell metal - an alloy of tin and copper, with more tin than in bronze, for making bells.

OC

Comment

I hadn't thought of it before, but the adjective "brazen" refers to bronze...

And we have this chap in OH's tree:
                                        William Robert WHITEHEAD (COCKS):
                                        b c1851-2 [1861/1871] c1853 Portsmouth [Roy GR 92671] 1851q4 Portsea 7-204
                                        1861RG9-639: age 9, scholar; ("Cocks" at G'ma) 6 Warblington St, Portsmouth
                                        1871RG10-1136: age 19, gas fitter & bell hanger; ("Cocks" at G'ma) 4 Warblington St, Portsmouth
                                        m1 1874q3 St Saviour 1d-84 Emily GREGG
                                        1881RG11/47fo54p38: age 29, smith; 164 Ifield Rd, Kensington
                                        1891RG12/920fo6p6: age 40, plumber; boarder 82 East St, Soton [1891]
                                        m2 1897q2 Soton 2c-97 Alice Lydia BARNES
                                        d 1899q3 age 47, Soton 2c-11

The variable surname is because he was born before the marriage of Miss Whitehead to Mr Cocks.

Christine
                                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                                        X